Calculating Lens distance

FOCUZ

I have to shoot an event next week and I need to shoot a podium from 150 to 200 feet away.

A fellow cameraman is going to rent me his Fuji HA22X7.8.

I went on Fujinon's website and the had a lens calculator page.

There are three calculations you can make, Field of View, Angle of View, and depth of Field. The closest calculation for what I need is the Field of View, but either I'm not understanding the math or it is not the info I need.

I realize I can rent a 33X and be done with it, but I am trying to be nice to the client and keep the price reasonable.

Hiding Under Here

I think this is the calculator you are looking for.

www.canon.com/bctv/calculator/index.html

It's the second one down. And as I read it, you have enough lens. But this is a tricky calculus because you are fudging any number of things. Usually the best thing to do is to actually do a test. The 33x lens is a pain with the sled and all. Depending on the light level, you do, of course, have a 44x lens with the 22x when using the doubler. The loss of light may not work though.

Mike

Most presidential network pool camera throws are about 150' and when I am the pool shooter, I use my 16X8 (without using the 2X converter) lens on my Betacam, so you should be just fine.

Run&Gun

Most presidential network pool camera throws are about 150' and when I am the pool shooter, I use my 16X8 (without using the 2X converter) lens on my Betacam, so you should be just fine.
A friend and I were the network presidential crew before and he shot it with a 20x (20x8.6), no extender.

focusthis

Wait, boat????

FOCUZ, has this been brought to the attention of the "B-Roll Night" advance team?

/we now return to your regularly scheduled thread.