b-roll.net FORUM was HACKED

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
We were hacked this evening (Sunday) and in restoring the backup, we've lost a weeks worth of posts. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It appears the hackers sent a mass email out to all users.

Visit this and subscibe
http:// youtube.com/ DarkestCode

And this site..
www. r4p3. net

and www. code-republic. net. tc
DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE LINKS IN THE EMAIL.

We're still looking into how the security was breached, but we've put some procedures in place that should lock us down better than before.

Again - sorry for any inconvenience...

kev

Last edited:

SeattleShooter

Had a feeling. My wife is working on her Masters and a hacker got into her computer and screwed everything up a few days ago. Not to mention a boat load of viruses. I am happy she listened to me and backed everything up every night!

focusthis

if you can't beat 'em....

Should we all join, then start posting the sh!t out of the forum? ooh, and help requests to the admin. And all our favorite recipes!

To save a LOT of effort, howabout we just repost all the VJ rants over there??

/just wondering
//don't really know this intarweb stuff
///sharpening my slashies!

eb

You might want to remove those bad links above or re-write them so they're not links. Inevitably, someone may click on the link... before reading not to. No good can come from putting up links to a corrupt address.

Coincidently, my home computer crashed and burned Sunday evening...lost my Windows boot.ini and have to restore. But that happened after a power outage/storm. Perhaps these hackers had something to do with that too? Hmmmm....

cameradog

The first link went to YouTube, so there's nothing really dangerous there.

For what it's worth, I have Web of Trust installed on my browser, and it showed green (okay) on the third link and unknown on the second link. I doubt it did any damage if you inadvertently clicked on them.

Sore Shoulder

I got the email and wondered, "Why is Kevin sending this out--that seems so out of character?"
Erased the email and figured if it was something to check out it would be in the forum.

SimonW

I know the feeling. I had to restore two of my sites from hackers the other day. They got in via a really tiny security hole in a CMS that I hadn't even installed yet (I had put it into a new folder ready to install for a new site)!