avid newscutter fire wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAwood

Okay, I know there are a ton of you out there that use newscutter. We have a couple here, and they are connected to beta decks. our station is moving to dvcam, but doesn't have a dvcam deck for the avids. I was wondering if anyone out there has hooked up a dvcam, or dvcpro camera to a Newscutter through the firewire port on the computer. any help would be great.

desertrat

We have our entire newsroom using firewire. Every DVCPro deck uses its firewire port to get stuff into the newscutter and back out to the deck for output. Seems to work just fine.

SAwood

Do you have any other decks attatched via analog, or just the dvcpro? I'm curious about the versatility of analog and digital on the same computer.

desertrat

Yes we do. We loop a few beta, vhs, and dvd players through the DVCPro decks. All you need to do is switch the input select switch to line and you're set. We use Panasonic AJ-D250 decks and they apparently convert analog to digital internally. You should be able to do the same with the AJ-D455's as well.

We do the same thing. We're using the firewire port on Sony DSR-11 DVCAM decks to go into NewsCutter, and at some of ingest-stations we have VHS decks with their A/V out running into the inputs on the back of the DSR-11's. Just flip the input to "Video" and it works like a charm. I've even brought in video from an analog Hi-8 camera that way.

SAwood

well, the thing is, we don't have a dv deck. we are still in the process of converting from sp to dvcam, and don't have the money to get a dvcam deck yet. so the only deck we have hooked up is a sp deck through the meridian I/O box, so there isn't even a dvcam deck in the mix at all. I was thinking of going s-video out of the camera into the back of the sp deck and see how that works.

but in regards to the fire wire, appearently, our version of newscutter doesn't support a fire wire card right now. kinda crazy. looks like i'm waiting for a deck. so basically, there's no fire wire anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.