AVCHD + DVDs

Skipcam

Both Sony and Canon make small stand-alone DVD Burners (Sony VRD-MC5 & Canon DW-100) that can burn AVCHD files from a camcorder (via USB) to a DVD-R or DVD+R and their product literature indicates it will play as a 1080i HD output when played on a Blu Ray DVD player that supports AVCHD. I have a small Canon AVCHD camcorder and Sony VRD-MC5 burner but they won't talk to each other, since each manufacturer makes a "handshake" that only allows it to work with their cameras. Has anyone tried this? Can you really get HD out of a standard def DVD? Can you use FCP or Premiere Pro or Vegas (all of which handle AVCHD) to take those AVCHD files and write them to a DVD-R or DVD+R? And play it on a Blu Ray player at 1080i?

Skipcam

Well, nobody responded to that question. But on the off chance that someone else wants to know the answer is, yes, you can. The Sony burner only works with Sony products, and the Canon burner only works with Canon products, but each will burn 1080p AVCHD video to a standard def DVD-R disc and play back (stunning!) hi def on a Blu-Ray player. Works like a champ and is a backup for the original files that were on your memory card, that you can now erase and reuse.

Ben Longden

Brilliant!

Now the next question from someone uneducated in HD is can you convert an SD file into AVCHD and have it play on a blu ray player using just a standard DVD blank?

Ben