Audio help

paulisphotoman

I am seeking a digital audio recorder, Zoom or Tascam for use in field or studio...
I am seeking info on what would be good for use with Red One, plus what lavaliers (hardwire/wireless and boom) would be good.

Audio I'm no expert at, but understand it.
Thanks for any input

whats your budget, current setup and workflow. The thing with both the zoom and tascam recorders is that they really need a proper mixer in front of them if you want to get the best out of them. I honestly like the sound devices 633 if you can afford it as it combines both the mixer and the recorder as well as allowing you both a mixed stereo record along with iso channels that will have everything else separated out.

Necktie Boy

Geoff is right on track!

Zooms and Tascam are not for professional use in the sense. Sure, I have a Zoom for backup recording, but it's not my main recorder. You need to get a professional recorder. Better yet, hire a professional sound man to do the work. He will have all the equipment to use on shoots.

If you plan to have sound equipment, you should really go with Sound Devices or Zaxcom equipment. These units allow to record ISO tracks, along with a mix that can be sent to camera. Same deal with wireless equipment, Lectrosonics or Zaxcom units.

I hate to say that you are asking basic questions that you should already know the answers. All the stuff you have been asking about is Basic 101 equipment.

I advised to team up with a local equipment dealer in your area. Ask him what he recommends, then ask the boys on B-roll about what you have learned or thinking of getting.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but as a production manager, you should have an idea what other use.

Starman

My suggestion: Sounddevices 633 or 664 if you need the extra channels, two Lectrosonics UCR411A recievers, SM or 400 series transmitters, Oscar Tech or Tram lavalieres, Sennheiser 416 boom mike. K-tak Nautilus shockmount and carbon fiber boom pole. Petrol bag and harness for all the gear. A good sound guy that has a lot of experience to work all the gear! CF or SD cards class 10 or better.

Capt. Slo-mo

I'm a bigger fan of the "sonotrim" upgraded tram mikes for the Lectrosonics, but other than that, all good recommendations.