Attracting new clients. Any ideas?

Anyone have any ideas on how to attract more clients? I get most of my leads through the web and word of mouth.

I have been unsuccessful in advertising in the yellowpages and newspaper. six months ago I even joined the local chamber..I go to every meeting and have yet to get 1 lead.

any ideas?

Douglas

Those are all better than nothing, but too passive. Don't wait for clients to come looking for you -- GO TELL THEM they need a video and that you are the one to do it. There's nothing better than a personal letter and demo video sent to the right person in the organization. NEVER cold call on the phone or send email.

When I used to do tons of corporate work, some of the best clients didn't even know they needed a video until I told them them needed a video.

Think of what your work can accomplish for the client. Focus on the results your video will get (sales or training mostly) and then sell them on the idea that your video will accomplish those goals.

Don't waste time talking about your equipment or how you'll do it. Clients don't care anymore about that than you'd care about the brand of wrenches your plumber uses. It's the guy running the wrench that matters.

Show examples of your work and quote exact costs. If clients can see what they get for their money and then estimate the benefits they'll get from it, then it's a no brainer not to commission the video if it's something they can use. That's not always the case. Sometimes you'll get nowhere with a client, and they are right to pass on your offer. I've seen a lot of companies piss away a lot of money on videos they didn't need or were not executed right. Just because they say "No" doens't mean they are wrong or you didn't do your job right.

Make sure your website is up to par, but don't expect it to do any advertising for you. No local client is going to "find" you online, but they will want to learn all about you from your website once they know you exist. Having a website is like having a phone number. Nobody's going to use it unless YOU make them aware of it.

My advice to stop being so passive. Be the aggresor and don't waste any money on yellow pages ever again. Only advertise in the newspaper if it's a business newspaper and reaches a high number of potential business clients. If you spend money on a regular newspaper, you're wasting money on 99% of the readers who aren't even in the market for your services even if it was free. If you look at the CPM you spent to reach actual potential clients, you might as well have flushed your money down the toilet.

So, who NEEDS a video? Which potential clients are prime candidates to chase? That's the real secret isn't it.

Doug

Last edited:

Birdy

Don't forget to list yourself with the local and state film commissions. In some states, they are part of the tourist office. I've had several calls in the past few months through that listing.

Also, make some contacts in LA or with the cable content-providers and let them know that you want to be their "go to" guy for your city. Make sure that you include a demo.

Douglas

Hi Birdy,

Those ideas are perfect for a freelancer who wants to be hired as a "shooter". But for someone who is trying to get a small production company off the ground and serve clients in his own hometown, as it sounds like RV is trying to do, then film commissions and listings like that are not going to help at all. He'd be better off applying his limited time and resources much closer to home.

The CEO of a manufacturing business on the other side of town is unlikely to contact the state film commission for recomendations when it comes time to produce a promotional video. And as I said, before, that CEO might not even realize he even needs a promotional video unless RV tells him he needs a video. If you can sell the client on the initital concept of having a video produced, then you are already 99% of the way towards being picked as the guy who will get the job.

There are many sides to the freelance biz.

Doug

BluesCam

Some ad agencies and PR firms hire video production comapnies for corporate projects. It might be worth contacting a few. They can be a pain and take a long time to pay, but some have sent me a few nice jobs. Some may say they only use film. If you can put up with the paper work and BS register with your state as a vendor. I have a made some money that way.

i got nothing else but weddings

the wedding season is coming up:( i need the cash so i guess ill be doing a few. i cant believe what prices people are giving. $1000, etc for an edited video. come on! I wont do an edited video for under 1600. how can you eat and even pay bill for 1000 wedding? i know i cant. and even 1600 is too low but i got nothing but cheap brides around me. -RV

lake4

It's been my experience that word of mouth is something that either you have and are successful, or you use advertising and you aren't. I dont know any freelancers who advertise and stay busy, and there are a handul of us who work pretty close to 7 days a week and dont have websites or any other form of advertising. I'm sure websites help some, but in my opinion if you dont have word of mouth business you're doomed.