Another natpac I did

Latin Lens

Peter...another great natpkg. Great subject. There was just some weird edits that I can't believe got in there....jump cut at the 1:18 mark she goes to kissing the sign to hugging a lady...pretty obvious jump...1:30 mark behind shot of the guy to a front shot...just a weird edit because the composition was almost the same...1:34 mark...sign to sign...but there wasn't enough variation in composition so it was weird again...and at the 2:00 mark...runners running left to right to right to left...just pretty weird editing from you...any reasons why this happened? It didn't seem like you had a lack of video but I understand it happens to the best of us. Still enjoyable. Nice structure and pacing and flow. Good job.

SeattleShooter

Thanks LL for your comments. Before I go on, I hate to hear excuses but you asked so I will provide.*

There are a number of factors that those jump cuts got in there. The moment with the mom happened so so quick, that for me to set up the shot then pull off a close up and come back for the reaction with that woman I felt I would have missed one of those moments. I tried to time it so the jump cut was not as harsh. But the fact it happened as fast as it did and the pace of the SOT was calling for a cut I felt like that was all I had to use. I personally feel the moment covered up that cut and it was as natural as I could get.

The runners going R>L then L>R I have no clue. I just noticed that myself. That wide shot coming out of the two shot was a set up to the next med shot of the guy running with the flag. But that can be debated. If it was a POV to another identical*POV with opposite screen directions then that would be noticeable. But I went from a runners (back view) POV to a spectators POV. So yes I agree the line was broke. But as I said this could be debated.*

The sign to sign shot was the only shots I had other then a wide wide. I was not happy with that and tried to play around with it by keeping it one shot rather then two but I just bit my lip and took it. You are right...weird shot sequence but I was hoping that the pace of the video would mask a little bit of it. There were a lot of those pictures and after running two miles at the start then running back to my truck to drive to the 7 mile mark only to run another half mile to the flags....my butt was beat and I had another pkg to shoot with the AM reporter at 10am. Not that it is an excuse...but I was physically shot at the end of the shoot. I thought I had enough of the pictures (Bradsaw) but I had close ups of others. I got back to find I did not have a CU of that guy and I was kicking myself! I had a still shot of the guy from the internet but I felt it was a razor to my story and changed the feel.

The one interview shot with the guy holding the flag...no brainer. I did not catch that. I was so focused on the story at that time. I wish I could have found another shot of the runners!

I wish I was stronger so I we be able to carry my tripod. I covered an ironman by myself years ago and it kicked my butt! I had to ditch my pod because if all the running.

Overall, I feel my storytelling was some of my best in all the natpacs I have done.*

Sorry for any writing errors, I an on my iPhone!

Thanks for your input LL! means a lot!

Latin Lens

Hey Peter...no worries it happens to the best of us. I tend to get hyperfocused and at times make mistakes just like this too. Its like you're so excited you can't think, and this is a good lesson for the younger guys to learn from. No matter the experience level it can happen to any of us...so trying to maintain the proper level of attention is key. I think the stroy is/was strong to somewhat cover the "mistakes". I tend to watch first as a viewer to enjoy then as a photog to critique...however on the first watch...I noticed all I asked about in those weird edits because they just jumped out at me. Great concept and approach really helped to minimize just as you said you tried to do. Your skill level is above par and this one story is no indication of the totality of you as a photog. Its a snapshot I am glad you shared because I also take away something from every story posted here. Thanks Peter.