African American skin tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

billt

Hey fellow shooters,

I have to shoot arrivals and some interviews at a large ceremony featuring a lot of very prominent African American celeb's. I'll be shooting beta SP with nothing more than a Sun gun and I'll shooting WHILE the sun is going down and then again in a dark interior. I won't be allowed to bring any lighting equipment. There will be a variety of skin tones ranging from very light skined AA skintones to very dark.

Has any one shot anything similiar, do you have any recomendations? I mean there's not a lot I can do but was wondering if someone used a cosmetic gel over the sun gun or anything else that worked.

Do you' all prefer the hard light from the sun gun or would you think some light diffusion would be a smarter way to go?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

way kool productions

you have got to be kidding. I had no idea that there was a problem shooting "black" folk.

kevin hartfield
cbs4
denver, colorado
10 year NPPA faculty member
and yes a black man....... :mad:

RE718

I've always shot them just as I have evryone else... 2 to the head.

Seriously though, Ive shot all people the same, nothing special for skin colors. The only thing that was a little tricky was a really dark face, Ive irised up to give some definition, but the b/g is a bit overlit, so i suggest if you get a real dark face, try to shoot closeup

Lensmith

I've had good results using a yellow gel, but only in "no sun" situations. It's much more flattering on darker skin while not giving you some weird, off color balance look effect to your background.

During the day, or even sunset, I can't see you having any problems. If I had to dig for a concern...I'd tell you to worry more about the background of your shot than the lighting. Try for an angle which will have deeper, darker colors. No bright colors...like white. ;)

wtv

This is too weird to even answer...... though light diffusion is never a bad idea for white, brown or black..........

queen of blue

Actually, I don't think this is a bad question. You could have the same question about very light skinned "white folks" too. I happen to be one, and have a horrible time with my own lighting because the background for my show absorbs so much light, while I reflect it like a mirror. Our PR person is SO white, literally white - and she has very very dark hair - then she likes to wear this bright red lipstick that makes her look like snow white. (Thank GOD I finally convinced her to go to Mauve for TV.)

Her set has dark bookcases right behind her head that make it a nightmare to shoot without overblowing her face. With a proper lighting set-up and a big enough room it would be ok, but such a thing does not exist where I work.

As for the situation discussed in this thread - for goodness sake make sure you face them into the sun (or sideways against it, just not backlit) - and the darker room shouldn't be a problem, as the exposures for faces and background will be similar. If they are celebrities, they will be used to this and should have a general idea about what will make them look best.

I had a situation once with a reporter who had VERY dark skin. He INSISTED on doing a standup in a house with no electricy. Wearing a bright white shirt. Walking in from the outside on a bright sunny day. Finishing his shot infront of a picture window. With nothing but a 25 watt camera light. Against my advice. And then he used it in the package, making ME look like I didn't know what I was doing. It sounds so horrible to say he was all eyes and teeth, while everything else was blinding - but he was.

The sad part is that it could have been a great standup. His jacket was in the truck, which would have helped with the shirt, or we could have done the walk from one room to another inside without changing the context of the track. He simply refused to listen to me or trek the 100 yards to the truck for the jacket.

Lesson I learned then - you MUST account for a very dark skin tone in certain situations. Lesson I've learned since - the same thing applies to very light skin tones as well.

Sprite

Each situation is different. Room size? Windows? Are you required to remain stationary?

Blast 'em with the sun gun. A dim top light in a dark room just doesn't look the same to me, particularly with backgrounds. For courtesy's sake, turn the light on pointed away at first, then ease it onto a subject. If you're really up close, you may want to diffuse 100 watts. Personally, I'd have an assistant with a portable, battery powered second light.

editor_dude

some cameras have a black stretch fuction in the menus. what this does is sort of turn down the contrast in the darker areas or give better seperation in the shadow areas. I don't use it alot but have used it for dark complextions in contrasty light with some sucses.

newsdude477

I think its a legitimate question. Don't tear the guy a new one because of the subject. I've had the question come up a few times in our shop.

bluetito

here's is one thing newbies to shooting black people will do, and i've done it myself. If you use zebras ( i set them at 80 IRE) don't aim for a few zebra lines on a black person's face as i do for a white person. It will rally blow them out. Also, however with a darker face you can get away with a lighter background- although as noted above a darker background is more appealing.

As a portrait photographer...THIS is a very important question. Anything excessivly white or black is always a challenge and requires more than average skill to light correctly. Best thing to do when you are shooting on the fly is find an area that is as evenly lit as possible. If thats not doable, then get tight and trust your zebra.

Sportsguy

Originally posted by Sprite:
Personally, I'd have an assistant with a portable, battery powered second light.

Ha ha. You are aware most of us shoot news, right? An assistant must be nice...

12cammo

Darker skin tends to reflect the green spectrum. White balance off a blue card , or use a tiffen 812 warming filter to warm the skin tones. Same thing the gold reflector does...

leftcoastphotog

Kevin,
I think you might want to chill a little bit. the board is here for a myriad of reasons. tips, tricks, venting and yes advice. billt asked a question not to belittle or be racist but to make sure that he put out the best product possible. i have a reflector that has two sides one side silver and the other side gold do they both reflect light? yes, does the color of one side work better with some people than others? yes.
At no time did billt refer to african-americans as "black folk" and it probably isn't appropriate to refer to caucasions as "white folk" at least not with your inferred "tone" of voice.
So maybe instead of biting back how about using your experience and offering some advice.
IMHO,
lcp

way kool productions

OK Icp,
your point is well taken. My point was, too cause some controversy. In my 25+ years of shooting, editing,and producing,(network,freelace, sports what ever) I have never once stop and said to my self "I have to shoot this different because of the color of the subjects skin." When I took a lighting class from Bill Holshevnikoff I learned that I didnt have to alter the way I light because of the color of ones skin. I guess what I find that in this day and age of equality that photographers in the television news business, still have difficulty shooting persons of different races. I thought that this business that we are in is all about story telling, not what kind of light or gel to use. In this form, I only meant to show how we are still caught up in how to video person of different races instead of telling ones story, maybe persons of different races need to be video taped more often and tell there stories.

this rage was meant to make you think.....
good day my friends

queen of blue

Originally posted by way kool productions:
OK Icp,
your point is well taken. My point was, too cause some controversy. In my 25+ years of shooting, editing,and producing,(network,freelace, sports what ever) I have never once stop and said to my self "I have to shoot this different because of the color of the subjects skin." When I took a lighting class from Bill Holshevnikoff I learned that I didnt have to alter the way I light because of the color of ones skin. I guess what I find that in this day and age of equality that photographers in the television news business, still have difficulty shooting persons of different races. I thought that this business that we are in is all about story telling, not what kind of light or gel to use. In this form, I only meant to show how we are still caught up in how to video person of different races instead of telling ones story, maybe persons of different races need to be video taped more often and tell there stories.

this rage was meant to make you think.....
good day my friends
See, now when you put it that way instead of just yelling at us, it makes sense and we can see where you're coming from. Bill H is right I'm sure - IF you have the time to properly light the situation. That isn't always the case, and in fact the original question was specifically how to make sure he got the best product in much less than ideal conditions.

BTW, which gel you use for pasty white people like me CAN vary, as can the gel you might want to use with an African American .... but generally, I like a nice rosy color if I can get it (for my own camera work) - or maybe just a hint of orange to set off my hair and give general warmth.

We're NOT saying that it's only a problem to shoot video that contains darker skinned people, we're saying that different situations require different approaches to achieve the desired product.

[ October 12, 2005, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: queen of blue ]

Status
Not open for further replies.