Adobe Premiere Pro

bottom_feeder

Yeah I can relate to the escape type scenario.
Imagine this for a virtual speed comparison.
You have a keyboard on the screen instead of the real one.
Now imagine trying to type more than just a couple of words by using your mouse to move around the on screen keyboard and find and click on the letters.
You've got only one mouse vs four fingers and an occasional thumb, plus the time spent moving it around the screen.

patssle

I just discovered something.

In Premiere, I told a clip on the timeline to "edit origional"...thinking it was a picture file and expecting to open Photoshop. It was actually an AVI file I had outputted from After Effects. What does Premiere do? It opens the actual After Effects project I used to create the AVI. Awesome!

Tom Servo

You've got only one mouse vs four fingers and an occasional thumb, plus the time spent moving it around the screen.
OK, I've been trying this, and it's just not as fast. That tells me I'm doing something wrong. Got any links or resources to show me what the fast keyboard guys are doing?

bottom_feeder

The need for speed

Just like playing any fine instrument, whether a fine editing instrument or a musical one, practice is the key.
Keyboard shortcuts require time to learn and become ingrained.
You're still going to need to use the mouse, the key to using key board shortcuts is to find the ones that cut the corners on the most click intensive parts of what you're doing, like moving around in the timeline to trim the edits. Use the go to next edit shortcut instead of dragging the time indicator. Using the keyboard shortcuts for the trim tool instead of dragging the ends of the clip in the timeline. You'll have to spend some time learning what shortcuts work best for you and then keep looking for more of them. Eventually you'll find you'll use the mouse less and less and your speed will increase accordingly.

bottom_feeder

Here are a few to get you started. I'll post more when I have time.

# Shortcut #1 - {TAB} key
Press the {TAB} key to toggle Premiere's palettes off and on. With the palettes turned off you will have more room on the screen to expand your Project window, Monitor window, and Timeline window. This will also give you an unobstructed view of the Audio Clip window when working with audio wave forms.

# Shortcut #2 - { + } and { - }
The plus key { + } and minus key { - } on the main keyboard (NOT the numeric keypad) will expand and contract the time scale in the Timeline window. HINT: Position the Edit Line before you press plus or minus to keep the clip centered in the Timeline window.

# Shortcut #3 - { \ }
Use the backslash key { \ } to automatically re-size the Timeline window so that you can see all the clips in your edited program.

# Shortcut #4 - { Space Bar }
The { Space Bar } is the largest key on your keyboard. Use it to start and stop playback in the Timeline window, Monitor window or Clip window. In the Timeline window, pressing the { Space Bar } starts playback from the location of the Edit Line. Playback will continue until you press the { Space Bar } again, or the end of the project is reached.

# Shortcut #5 - { Enter }
Press the { Enter } key to playback ONLY the section of the Timeline defined by the yellow Work Area Bar. If there are any video segments or audio segments that require preview files, these will be rendered before playback commences. Playback will automatically stop at the end of the yellow Work Area Bar.

# Shortcut #6 - { Alt } + { Click Yellow Bar }
Hold down the { Alt } key while you click the yellow Work Area Bar. This will automatically expand the yellow Work Area Bar to cover all the clips in the Timeline window. NOTE: If there is a gap anywhere in the Timeline -- even as small as 1 frame -- the yellow Work Area Bar will STOP at the gap. This is an excellent way to troubleshoot your program and check for any accidental gaps in your Timeline. HINT: If you simply double-click on the yellow Work Area Bar, it will be automatically sized to fill the current viewing area of the Timeline window.

# Shortcut #7 - { Alt } + { period } and { Alt } + { comma }
When a clip in the Timeline window is selected (i.e. surrounded by the animated marquee), you can nudge it forwards or backwards one frame at a time by holding the { Alt } key while pressing the { period } or { comma } respectively. If you hold down both the { Alt } key and the { Shift } key, you can nudge the selected clip 5 frames forward at a time with the { period } and 5 frames backward at a time with the {comma}.

# Shortcut #8 - { V } and { Z }
The letter { V } selects the default Selection Tool and the letter { Z } selects the Zoom Tool. With the Zoom Tool { Z } selected, click and drag inside the Timeline area to specify exactly what clips you want to fit into the Timeline window. Then press the letter { V } to return to the default Selection Tool. Once you start using this technique you will really appreciate how easy it is to get just what you want to see in the Timeline window. Just remember, it's eazy with V and Z.

# Shortcut # 9 - { Home } and { End }
When any clip in the Timeline window is selected (i.e. surrounded by the animated marquee), pressing the { Home } key places the Edit Line at the start of the clip and pressing the { End } key places the Edit Line at the end of the clip.

# Shortcut # 10 - { * } on Numeric Keypad
When working in the Timeline window or Monitor window, pressing the asterisk key { * } on the Numeric Keypad will create a Marker in the Timeline window. These markers are extremely useful when combined with Premiere's new Automate to Timeline function. HINT: Press { Shift } + { W } to move forwards from one Timeline marker to the next. Press { Shift } + { Q } to move backwards from one Timeline marker to the previous one.

# Shortcut # 11 - { uparrow } or { downarrow }
When you are on the timeline, hitting the up arrow and down arrow will bring you to the first frame and last frame of your project.

# Shortcut # 12 - { shift } & { ctrl } & either { rightarrow } or { leftarrow }
If you select 'shift'-'ctrl' and either the left arrow or right arrow while on the timeline you will jump to the next juncture between clips to the right or left depending on which arrow key you used. Its a quick way of jumping through the transitions between clips on your timeline..

Necktie Boy

And if you don't like the location of the key, you can remap your keyboard. Comma(,) is Insert And for your FCP editors. F9 is insert

Tapeape

heh. I'm in the same boat as Tom. I tried the keyboard thing. . .Even tried remapping it to your specs. Maybe it's my style of editing, but it's just slower for me to navigate using only the keyboard. It's just faster for me to click right where I need to go - especially if it's somewhere in the middle of a clip.

Call me stupid or old fashioned, but I'm just more comfortable with one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard.

Besides, I spent all that money for a wireless laser mouse, and I'm gonna use the thing dammit! ;)

A Step Above Productions

For me a combination of the keyboard, mouse and my Shuttle Pro2 works best for me. The keyboard is great but the mouse is great too. A mishmash of all three is for me the fastest.

All the keyboard shortcuts mentioned so far I knew. I was hoping for some new one that would speed up everything.

bottom_feeder

I'm not trying to be flip here, but here is an analogy.
When I was first learning how to type using a keyboard I found I could write by hand much faster than I could using the keyboard. After lots of practice I no longer find that to be true.

Necktie Boy

It's "Control+D" Park the marker over the edit. If I remember, you can change the transition if you like. It should already set for a dissolve.

The Daywood

Not a paid endorsement....

One of the other staff members here who does a ton with After Effects and then Premier swears by Creative Cow's Podcast...

Haven't checked it out myself regularly, but it is worth a listen according to him...

ENG FTP

Here is a trick. Export your edit using the Adobe MPEG Encoder and then upload that file to our FTP Server. From there we can fiber it to any broadcast network or uplink it to a satellite. Adobe Premiere Pro has the best MPEG options out there. Avid and FCP can not touch it.

Bruce Wilkinson
Satellite Applicaitons ENG FTP
www.engftp.com

Necktie Boy

ENG FTP,

Whick MPEG Settings are you using? Since I have reloaded Premiere, I have lost those settings.

Thanks!

KsPhotog

DVD Error

Has anyone exported to DVD and had it go through the whole process, then on the last step it says it can't complete and says "DVD Err 224" ?
I get this alot. Yesterday I had to burn a 25 minute DVD 3 times before it worked. It's much worse when I do 2 hour DVD's and it takes 12+ hours only to not work.
It's very frustrating!

Necktie Boy

I did a quick search and found this:

According to the Consensus on the adobe users forum, this error message is generated due to the fact that a 3rd party software is running in the background, and therefore interfering with the burn process.. 2 of the main offenders are "Norton anti virus" and Roxio "drag to disc"

I hope that helps.

KsPhotog

Thanks, that could be. I usually let it burn and do other things. I'm not watching it the whole time. I'm sure Norton could start running during that process. Thanks!

BNVN

Has anyone exported to DVD and had it go through the whole process, then on the last step it says it can't complete and says "DVD Err 224" ?
I get this alot. Yesterday I had to burn a 25 minute DVD 3 times before it worked. It's much worse when I do 2 hour DVD's and it takes 12+ hours only to not work.
It's very frustrating!
Yeah, I have got that error a lot and broke down and picked up a copy of Adobe Encore. I had major issue with Pro2 trying to encode to a Dual Layer DVD so I was able to find a demo copy with a limited license from Adobe's website for Encore2 and it worked for what I need to do. Took a lot of messing around with to get it to work but in the end it did the job.