Adobe Premiere Pro

A Step Above Productions

Was woundering if anyone has any tricks and tips on Priemre Pro? I own it and have been using it for over a year now. I like it a lot but feel I may be missing out on some tricks. I trained myself on it - so I know I am missing out on a few things.

patssle

The great thing I love about Premiere is that you can import entire projects into After Effects. Do all your cuts in Premiere, then just import the project and you won't have to do any video searching in After Effects.

I don't get how the workflow works for people who edit with other NLE programs and have to do tweaking to the projects in After Effects?

A Step Above Productions

The great thing I love about Premiere is that you can import entire projects into After Effects. Do all your cuts in Premiere, then just import the project and you won't have to do any video searching in After Effects.

I don't get how the workflow works for people who edit with other NLE programs and have to do tweaking to the projects in After Effects?

Any tips for After Effects? I am lost when it comes to it. I play with it but have no idea what I am doing.

PHX Shooter

One thing I just found doing the multi-cam editing is using numbered markers to synch tracks. I was given some video that had no slate and no timecode to work with. I went in and found a spot in the audio (I look for words with sharp, discernable attacks) and set a numbered clip marker at that spot. Doing the same thing with the other track, I set a corresponding numbered marker (the marker numbers need to be the same for this to work). Next step is to select both tracks and either go to Clip>Synchronize or right click and bam, both tracks are now synched at those markers. Pretty slick and fast.
The other cool thing about numbered markers is that I'm also synching slide .jpgs to the video via XML for Webcasting and I can set numbered markers to correspond to the slide number so I can go back through the sequence and grab all the slide timecodes for creating the XML file.

Necktie Boy

I like the ability to burn to DVD from the time line...Simple DVD....No menu.....Not really a trick, but a cool feature.
I use Boris FX....You get cool transition and effects that you can control from Premiere. I also picked Graffitti for extra titling.
"Edit Original" from the "Edit Menu" will send the footage to where it was create....Photoshop file goes to Photoshop...Audio goes to Audition....
To move from edit to edit.....Page Up or Down on the keyboard.
I hope that helps

A Step Above Productions

I like the ability to burn to DVD from the time line...Simple DVD....No menu.....Not really a trick, but a cool feature.
I use Boris FX....You get cool transition and effects that you can control from Premiere. I also picked Graffitti for extra titling.
"Edit Original" from the "Edit Menu" will send the footage to where it was create....Photoshop file goes to Photoshop...Audio goes to Audition....
To move from edit to edit.....Page Up or Down on the keyboard.
I hope that helps
Those I know - but keep the tips coming

Necktie Boy

Sorry,
I guess I don't know any tricks....hehehe..But you had to know that any Adobe product works welll with other Adobe products.

patssle

Any tips for After Effects? I am lost when it comes to it. I play with it but have no idea what I am doing.
Honestly, I've found After Effects is one of those programs that takes a long time to learn. I used it off and on for about 4 years just for fun, and didn't get far. Then this past semester at school I really started using it, and I got a lot better in 6 months of serious use. But still not to the point of where I want to be.

I think its a program that you just have to use and learn it over time...its not something that you can pickup in a day at a training session or after a week of use.

Alaska cameradude

For After Effects I got the Trish and Chris Meyer books.....I think they have 3. Work through the exercises in those...you'll get a lot better. Do a bunch of the tutorials on Creative Cow. It takes some time to pick up, but it's easier for me than some other programs like Combustion or Shake because it DOES have a timeline based setup kind of like most NLE's have. I use it with Final Cut Pro with no problems at all, After Effects actually plays nice with pretty much any NLE (not as nice as it does with Premiere obviously) but I have a Mac and you couldn't get Premiere on a Mac the last few years. The new edition will work on the Intel Macs though so I may have to take a look at Adobe's production studio. I like their software, I just like Apple's stuff (FCP and Motion) a little more....mostly for ease of use. But knowing me I'll get them both because Adobe is better at some things and After Effects will do some things Motion won't do. If you are on a PC I'd think it would be hard to get more for the money than Adobe's Productions Suite.....you can pretty much do ANYTHING with it!

Tapeape

If you've just spent forever tweaking an effect (audio or video) on one clip on the timeline, and you need to apply the same effect to another clip, just copy the one you worked on, right click on the other clip, and select "paste attributes."

Lots faster than manually tweaking the effect for each clip.

When I'm editing I like to run 2 audio channels. I pan ch. 1 all the way left, and ch2 all the way right. Then when I'm dropping clips in, I drag to either v1 or v2 depending on what sound input I need.

Oh, and reset your keymap so that E and R are in/out instead of I and O. Puts your hand right near the other commonly used keyboard shortcuts, so you can edit with one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard.

bottom_feeder

J K and L keys

remap your I and O?
But then the in and outs aren't above the J K and L keys. How can you edit quickly if your ins and outs aren't right above your jog shuttle?

Tapeape

remap your I and O?
But then the in and outs aren't above the J K and L keys. How can you edit quickly if your ins and outs aren't right above your jog shuttle?
I use the mouse as my jog shuttle. It's faster and more accurate than the keyboard, but that's just me ;)

A Step Above Productions

remap your I and O?
I use the Shuttle PRo and a mouse for most of my editing - I allmost never use the keyboard.

The past attributes key is the best thing ever – a client of mine showed me that trick and I use it every day.

newsindc

I edit with premiere pro in the field on a laptop most of the time in my car. And I like the program. I would like to use the mouse but it just does not work in the car. I found it easy to learn and easy to use. It works well for down and dirty get it on the air fast news.

Dan R.

I use a USB optical mouse in the car. Works great using your leg or the center console as a mousepad.

Tom Servo

In order to get really fast you've got to give up the mouse and use the keyboard short cuts.
yeah, I've heard that. But I've also edited pkgs (my last station's nonlinear for a long time consisted of my personal laptop ;) ) in 8 minutes start to finish, which is fast enough for me ;) They wouldn't have won any NPPA awards, but they made air.

Besides, if I'm moving a clip around on the timeline, (and maybe you can enlighten me here) I really don't see how it's faster to use the kb shortcuts than it is to just grab it with the mouse and put it where it goes.

bottom_feeder

Try the U key to enter the slide edit tool and then use the forward and backward arrow keys to move the clip forward or backward in the timeline. Use shift + arrow key to move it 10 frames.
Wow, using your own gear, that's dedication!
Obviously 8 minutes is fast enough in anybodies book.
Even so, I'll bet you could have done it even faster if you had a mastery of the many keyboard short cuts.

Tapeape

Try the U key to enter the slide edit tool and then use the forward and backward arrow keys to move the clip forward or backward in the timeline. Use shift + arrow key to move it 10 frames.
Hokay, I'll play with that when I get home. I'm still not mentally seeing how a linear keyboard flow (basically play forward and reverse buttons) is faster than clicking right where you need to be, but that's probably just because I'm not imaginative enough ;)

Wow, using your own gear, that's dedication!
What can I say, I wanted out of there, and escape tapes with lousy edits due to chronic frame slipping on old tape to tapes with well more than 10,000 hours on the heads weren't gonna cut it ;)