ABC GMA Crew Sends Local News Crew “where you’re supposed to be”

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member

While doing morning live shots for KOKH-TV in Oklahoma City, photographer John Biebrich and reporter Liz Dueweke had a “run-in” with Good Morning America. It appears the Fox affiliate crew moved into a location reserved by the ABC network crew and reporter Sam Champion.

Without all the details, it’s difficult to know the dynamics of what happened before and after this live-shot. All I can tell from this video is the encounter doesn’t look like it was friendly.

Last edited:

Corey

What was the local crew trying to accomplish by walking into the network setup like that? Looks like they could have had a better shot elsewhere. It'd be interesting to know what happened leading up to this, I'm sure there was already some tension there before the liveshot.

Chicago Dog

I can't understand the point of that liveshot -- other than picking a fight and making someone else look bad. You can't tell me that wasn't the only pile of debris in the entire area. Even so, you can't tell me that was the only point of access to the wreckage at that one site.

From the video alone, I have a really hard time siding with the local guys on this one. If I were set up somewhere and some guy started walking up on my liveshot and tried making my life difficult, I'd probably give him the exact same attitude as that network guy did. From the looks of it, that network crew was set up there for a while.

code20photog

The issue I have with this is the "You know where you're supposed to be" comment. It's not a red carpet with reserved spots, it's a disaster scene. Network can't just fly into town, throw up some caution tape and "reserve" an area that the locals can't shoot. I don't agree with what the local crew did, but at the same time, I've seen that attitude from Network crews more than I care to remember.

cameragod

Aside from anything else the camerawork sucked. If you are going to go looking for a fight at least do a good job of shooting it.

Lensmith

Bogus!
The local crew were idiots.
They weren't trying to show any damage. They were walking right into an existing set-up. With so much damage from the storms there, to see these local boobs try and act like they are "victims" is laughable.
After reading the headline for this thread...I expected something of a worthwhile confrontation to view. Instead, I felt the network guys were pretty tame. They are setting up to go live and some fool comes waltzing into their shot. No yelling by the net crew. No pushing. Yes, a comment and a well deserved one from where I sit.

There is no excuse for the behavior of that local crew. They were in the wrong.

slick

I'm most offended by the anchor's toss to the reporter of "where you at?" There a difference between being conversational and sounding unintelligent.

photogguy

The issue I have with this is the "You know where you're supposed to be" comment. It's not a red carpet with reserved spots, it's a disaster scene. Network can't just fly into town, throw up some caution tape and "reserve" an area that the locals can't shoot. I don't agree with what the local crew did, but at the same time, I've seen that attitude from Network crews more than I care to remember.
So, if you spend a lot of time setting up specific lighting for your live shot, set up your tripod, and another crews tries to move into your location, you're just going to roll over and die?

No, you're going to defend the location that you've already set up in.

That said, the local crew can probably horn in on the lighting be setting up somewhere nearby. I've always worked with the competition when it comes to scene lighting. I would always make sure their live hits were done before powering down my lights.

The reporter from the local crew spent a short time in the market where I used to work, and she doesn't have the most stellar reputation there.

A Step Above Productions

Sam was wrong for saying “you know where you’re supposed be” But mostly the local crew was way off base for walking in on a crew setting up. I don’t care if they are local, network or from a neighboring market… you just don’t do that and if I were the Chief Photog I would have a long sit down with my photog. In any setup like this it is first come first serve. Now again we have no idea of went down before the live shot… if anyone could tell us more from KOKH’s side we could all get a better understanding for what truly went down.

Wheatstone Bridge

" stumble and mumble "

That's a perfect example of the stupid walk and talk ( stumble & mumble ) that locals are crazy about. My guess is that the live shot would have looked a lot better had they set the camera on the tripod and just "panned " around showing the scene due to the nature of the amount of crews on scene.

Spenny!

You know, this reminds me of a saying... "For people who work in the communications business, we're often the worst communicators...".

This is a prime example of communicators...not communicating...with each other!

Being a ENG/Live-eye operator up here in Toronto, it's not uncommon to arrive at a scene and there's a million crew setups...areas "claimed" -- especially at a breaking-news scene. That said, BASIC COURTESY and SAFETY almost always rules the day...people make room, arrange things so they can get their shots in as well.

Why fight? Why bicker? I know we're all competitors but there's no reason to stress everyone out.

What should of been done (IMO): The Fox crew should of TOLD the network crew they were doing a hit ahead of time. Most hits are under five minutes. The Fox guys should of said "we're doing a hit for a few minutes...I need to get a shot of the scene. We'll be quick." It looks like from the video the network crew was DONE, so they should of extended some courtesy and allowed the Fox crew to do walk through. That said, the network crew doesn't "own" an area, but they should of been professional and let the locals do their quick hit. They weren't intruding on their live-hit or, by the looks of things, creating a safety or editorial issue.

So to sum up: both sides are at fault...for not talking to each other. Really unprofessional if you ask me.

Plan it out...talk it out. It takes less than a minute!

Take care and be safe out there guys & gals,

- Spencer

Latin Lens

So Kevin is right in saying that we don't know what was said before this live shot to understand the whys and hows this all came about...does it look like the Fox affiliate was provoking a fight and looking for a reaction from the ABC network crew...YES. I tend to think that if you claim a spot on a scene you can work with another crew (to gain the best vantage point) or chalk it up as a loss and do the best with whats available....I don't think what Sam said was right but they obviously spoke about the situation before this live shot....I tend to think that after all is said and done...everyone would have reacted different...its not that bad but I tend to blame the local crew for this.

AlexLucas

The old 'communications business' adage...

'This is a prime example of communicators...not communicating...with each other!'

In reality, I've had to modify that statement. First off, communication that is good and effective is difficult.

Secondly, what I see is that most people are EXCELLENT at expressing themselves in our business. The problem is that most people in our business are terrible at listening.

goodfoot

It's not a red carpet with reserved spots, it's a disaster scene. Network can't just fly into town, throw up some caution tape and "reserve" an area that the locals can't shoot.

How is OK to walk through a live shot or established work area after hours of setup and prep? If they are late to a press conference do they just set the sticks in front of the cameras that got there early? Whether they are local or national, you have to respect the crews that get to a scene first and either work around them or with them to share a location.

I thought Sam handled this very well. If it were me, I'd have probably taken this approach...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvMTv_r8sA

Tom Servo

It's not like the network crew showed up between the toss and the camera move. They knew the crew was there. They knew the crew's equipment would block the view of the wreckage. Marching over in the middle of a live shot was stupid, pointless, and unprofessional. There is absolutely no way that the live shot was going to work by doing that, even if the network crew had bent over backwards to try and accommodate them. It's not like the lights will just magically deflate on command.

Both the reporter and the photog need to be smacked. Hard.

That said, if (and I doubt it) the network crew set up in the middle of the only access point to see the debris (exceedingly unlikely, but if. . ) then they were being jackasses too. Don't block everyone else from shooting what they need to shoot. Pull back 5 feet so other cameras can get in when they need to. Professional courtesy.

zac love

I want to hear more details to before I pass judgment. From the little that is in the video, no one looks like they can cast the first stone.

If it is all about lighting, we've talked about that before on this board, & I think a lot of people here agree it isn't an issue if the "other guys" frame their shot which has the background that you lit. I think most here also agree that turning on / off lights while someone else is live isn't acting professional.

But it looks like there is more than that in the above video going on.

SamG

My GUESS...

The local didn't set up any lights. Network was already there when local pulled up. Local (seeing the nice big lights) talked to network saying "we'll just go live over there" and planned on "using" network's lights to get through the shot. The reporter was referencing the roof was off the store... there should have been LOTS of area to show that... why even move over toward the network setup?

Icarus112277

I think Sam Champion's response was pretty nice, given the situation.
I've worked with him, he really is a pleasant guy and is really cool.
It's clear the local crew was violating some sort of agreement the two crews had.
And it was their product that suffered for their stupidity.