A question about photographing model planes

MikeW

I am doing a story on a model airplane rally. So my question is how can I get good footage of these planes in flight and performing stunts?

Lensmith

I've seen some pretty large size model planes. Not sure how large the ones are you are shooting but...any chance of mounting a GoPro cam to one for some in-flight video?

Shooting them from the ground is not going to be easy. Maybe you can get one of the people flying the planes to help you do some close fly-bys and make getting some good shots easier.

svp

There are actually some pretty good videos on YouTube that were shot from the ground. It's not impossible. GoPro mounted on the plane is good and, if possible, maybe mount two on another plane (one facing forward, one facing backwards) and having another plane fly in front, and them behind the plane you're wanting to shoot. Almost like how you would shoot a real plane from another while in flight. Might work and might not but something to try if the plane can handle the weight of the GoPros.

Somewhere on YouTube is a video a guy put up of an electric remote controlled airwolf helicopter. It was shot in a way that it looks like a real chopper and a scene right out of the TV show.

MikeW

The GoPro cam is not an option at this time. I'll have my camera on a tripod. How can I track these planes from the ground? They get pretty high up performing their stunts and move very fast when they pass by.

cameragod

Turn the peaking right up in the viewfinder and that will help you find them in a clear sky. If there are trees or hills or buildings nearby ask if they can do some passes in front of them so we get an idea of how fast the models are moving relative to the background. Up high stay on sticks but for the lower to the ground, fast stuff I'd go hand-held.
Set up some static shots where the model enters and leaves the frame.
I guess what I'm saying is plan you shoot rather than just try to follow.

svp

It might actually be easier to track them by shooting off the shoulder if they are flying near or directly overhead. It can be hard to track fast moving objects on a tripod if they are close to you.

Lensmith

Your problem with the DSLR is keeping it in focus.
Those planes go fast.
Keeping it in the frame and tight enough to see what it is you're looking at...I can't offer you much hope.

MikeW

Your problem with the DSLR is keeping it in focus.
Those planes go fast.
Keeping it in the frame and tight enough to see what it is you're looking at...I can't offer you much hope.
That the same problem with I face with any video camera in this situation.
The flyers tell me they have less control at lower altitudes than higher. I don't if they could make low passes just for me.

MOShooter

I don't know how much time you have before the rally, but I'd say go practice on some birds. Try to find an area where birds are flying, and then try to follow them with your camera. They will be less predictable than the planes, I guess, but that will also help you learn to anticipate the action. The only way to get better at following fast-moving objects is to practice shooting them.

If you have a pan-handle for your sticks, I suggest using it. Better leverage on the pan head will help you move it faster and smoother.

MOShooter

Also, hi-speed video capture will slow the action down in playback, but you have to be able to follow it in real-time. If you think about those slo-mo shots in movies or NFL films, they are shot using high speed cameras, but the person shooting only has a moment to get the shot right.