A Promising Alternative

Michaelrosenblum

Recently, I received a PM from a member here, one with whom I had met a few years ago to talk about alternatives in a changing market.

He started a hyperlocal sports webcast, which I think is quite good.
If he is so inclined, he can post and show you the link.
He has at least one pre-roll ad, but that's not why I am posting.

NBC Universal last year bought a similar hyperlocal webcast called LX.TV.
It was founded in 2008 by two former MTV employees and started by making video reports on local restaurants and events in NY and putting them online.

They created a hyperlocal series for web about NY real estate and hosted it with a woman named Sara Gore (no relation to Al). About a year ago, I started seeing the Sara Gore videos on Taxi TV, those video monitors in the back of NYC cabs.

Then NBC bought LX.TV from the founders (at a nice price), and now have turned LX.TV into a daily local show. The founders are the EPs.

Could our own member of b-roll sell his hyperlocal sports webcast to ESPN? I think so. It's no secret that ESPN is moving into hyperlocal sports channels. LX.TV provided WNBC with a ready-made solution - content already done and tested online.

It's a good model- this notion of piloting a new kind of local news online, done by you or others in the business but not employees of the network. And in this case, you own the content, which by the way, it is easier for a place like NBC or ESPN to buy than to start from scratch.

It's an interesting development, and one we should all be paying attention to.

Here's a link on the LX.TV story

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-9859414-36.html

adam

It's interesting, my station group started a high school sports site and really promoted at launch, I don't know how they've done with it since. It seems that larger markets are a little dicier for hyperlocal sports for a slew of reasons. I'm in Seattle and there are a handful of local blogs that are doing really well covering some large neighborhoods but no video yet. Niche stuff like food and real estate that everyone loves to obsess about are ripe for the picking.