16:9 SD Editing

A.Bauer

Is anyone out there shooting and editing 16:9 SD? We have a fast-approaching date to switch our P2 cameras and Edius editors to 16:9. I'm sure I'm overlooking some important stuff. Anyone go through this headache yet and have some wisdom for me? I'm purposely leaving out details so the thread keeps the topic broad.

Canonman

Just know that SD video is still 720X480. 16:9 material is recorded in an anamorphic fashion. IOW, the 720 horizontal pixels are elongated to form a 16:9 image. You typically have to tell your NLE system that the footage is anamorphic so that it will display it properly. Graphics however, have no anamorphic pixel aspect ratio and need to be sized to 854X480.

cm

Dave Putnam

Keep in mind that if you have to feed other stations or a network material that you've shot in 16:9, you will need to run it through an aspect ration conversion. Our station does a 4:3 center cut of the 16:9 video. You will also need a way to put "pillars" or 'wings" on any 4:3 video to fill up the screen. The easiest way to do this is as the 4:3 material is coming into the building.