Zylight F8

Focused

Has anyone used this light? I've seen it at trade shows but it's look seemed impractical and flimsy. According to many others my impressions were very wrong.

It has good photo metrics and acts like a true fresnel.

Curious if anyone has worked with one.

shootist

PRO user
How bizarre....I don't even remember how long it's been since I logged on here and this is the first post I read.

Anyway....

I just bought two of these last month as supplements to 4X4 Kinos, ARRI Kit and Astra LitePanels. I've used them a few times and love them. They do not fall into MY category of flimsy at all. The hardware is all very solid from the light head to the barn doors. The focusing bellows are smooth and solid...all knobs feel very well attached.

They put out a great light. I bought the 5600K fixtures and they put out more than enough light for most outdoor and indoor (with CTO) applications. Even shooting through rags.

Added bonus of a $150 per light rebate but I don't know when that ends.

I wouldn't buy them as my primary fixtures but am happy with them as another tool in the chest.

Douglas

Besides possibly being more portable, what is the advantage of the Zylight over a Litepanels Sola 6? The Sola 6 is a real fresnel, has the output of a 200w HMI, costs $500 less, runs on batteries, and matches the rest of the Litepanels family perfectly.

Focused

Thanks for the input.

I have a Sola 6 and am let down with its performance. I may be expecting too much out of it but it seems to not pack the amount of light it suggests. Not much more output than the Sola 4s. Could just be my particular unit-but it got serviced 10 hrs ago. No change in performance.

Anywho- interested in this as it has a glass lens, can run off battery and can pack much smaller than the Sola6. I travel a lot so that is a big benefit.

Trying to get a rental to test out. Thanks guys.

Douglas

Could be something wrong with your Sola 6. I don't own one myself but I have used them on multiple occasions side by side with my Sola 4, and the Sola 6 is several times bighter. The two lights are nowhere near the same intensity. Not even close.

I agree that the Sola 6 is not exactly a portable light.

Zylight

Hey there, couldn't help but get involved in the discussion :)

I designed every part of the F8, so I'm a little biased when I say it's build like a tank. The main body is solid aircraft aluminum and the front housing is made from extra tough composite polymer. These lights are regularly beat up by field crews all over the world and we're constantly hearing praise for its durability.

As far as specific differences from the Sola 6:
- The F8 has an 8" glass lens made by Schott-Auer, where the Sola has a smaller thin plastic lens.
- The F8 has an IP54 rating for use in all kinds of weather. The Sola is not rated.
- The F8 is half the volume of the Sola when packed for transport (1650 vs. 869 cubic inches), plus it's only 4.5" thick which lets you slide it into bags no other fresnel would fit into.
- The F8 is completely silent. The Sola has an internal fan for cooling.
- The F8 has a full-size XLR DMX connector. the Sola requires a RJ45 adapter for standard DMX fittings.
- The F8 has built-in wireless for controlling from other Zylights or your iPhone with our ZyLink Bridge & app.

Lots of info here, but if you can get your hands on an F8 I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Thanks,

Jim Collias
Engineering Director
Zylight LLC

Zylight

Doug, I purposely did not compare photometrics since they often change (for the better, usually) without notice, and there are sometimes wildly differing results from manufacturer's specs and independent tests. The F8-100's brightness, for example, has increased since its first release mostly due to ongoing improvements in the LED modules we use.

Focused

F8 continued

Jim

That's a lot of good information. Thank you for taking the time.

Finding a unit to test has proven more difficult that thought. I can find a handful on rental house inventory sheets. Its the usual suspects... LA, LV, Boston and a place in Cleveland. Any other suggestions? I know Ill have to ship from somewhere to South Dakota.

Zylight

Hi Doug,

You can try one of the following rental houses to get your hands on an F8. Most will have no problem shipping a fixture for you to test. We'll also be at the USITT show in February (Salt Lake City) and the NAB show in April (Las Vegas) if you'd like to check them out there.

High Output
495 Turnpike St, Canton, MA 02021
(781) 364-1800

RST Visions
12023 Victory Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91606
(818) 566-1114

Midwest Grip and Lighting
6851 Steger Dr, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237
(513) 861-6779

Cleveland Camera Rental
2310 Superior Ave E, Suite 1, Cleveland, OH 44114
(888) 909-0554

Thanks,

Jim Collias
Zylight LLC

good info here. Is there any intrest at the moment in packing the 300 or maybe even a 400 down into the smaller form factor? I am using Nillas right now so they are theoretically on about par with the 200 version but I wouldn't mind getting something brighter if it didn't take up too much cubic footage.