XDCam-HD crew rates?

SkiTV

Whatever you want.

Not to be a smarty-pants, but quoting an earlier post from you:

"When are networks going to learn that thay don't set the rates? WE do. Does a customer of a plumber or an electrician or an auto body repair shop or a graphic designer set their respective rates? Hell no. This isn't Craigslist or Priceline."

I vote for $2500/$3000 respectively, but I doubt they'll buy that. Maybe for Nino.

Run&Gun

I would bill the same as I do for my VariCam, $1800 one-man and $2300 two-man. That's about average...

Baltimore Shooter

Not to be a smarty-pants, but quoting an earlier post from you:

"When are networks going to learn that thay don't set the rates? WE do. Does a customer of a plumber or an electrician or an auto body repair shop or a graphic designer set their respective rates? Hell no. This isn't Craigslist or Priceline."

I vote for $2500/$3000 respectively, but I doubt they'll buy that. Maybe for Nino.
That's why I'm asking, what rate have you set? better to ask here, now than to undercut other freelancers.

Warren

Nino

I wish.

The rate that I've been getting away with is $2450 for Varicam and $2150 for HDX900, this is crew rate with a soundie. Deduct $350 for OMB. So far I did not do any OMB with HD, actually I don't do OMB, at this stage of the game I prefer to have someone to help me carrying things more that I need someone to do sound. When I find someone than can do both well and without complaining I have a winner.

As I said long time ago this will not last. These rates were set when a HD camera with lens was close to 100k. So far my main client hasn't said anything and my work with HD has been growing, I know of crews that charge $1600 with HD gears. I'm sure that when cost is a factor they wouldn't even bother to call me so I will never know how much business I'm loosing to lower rates, but I'm very content with the business that I'm getting, so if I'm not getting the lower paying jobs is no big loss.

I envision the crew rates with a HDX900 or equivalent priced cameras and a good support package to settle around the $2000. I also expect to recover the cost of my new HDX900 in few months.

Nino

Nino I'm biting my tongue!

Andy
Audio Tech
I'm sorry, after reading what I wrote I can see how it could be interpreted and I really do not want to turn this in another soundmen thread. I have the utmost respect for soundies, couldn't do business without them. Also notice that I said that I don't do OMB, so for you guys I'm a good job security, if everybody would work this way you guys would do very well. The point is that clients see the soundman position less important and almost unnecessary, especially for sit down interviews, and that's 80 percent of my work. On most job I have to insist that I need a soundman. My reasoning to the clients is that I don't need just someone that does sound, I have two carts of equipment on every one of my jobs, I need all around help, many time I even hire a grip out of my own pockets. If soundmen want to stay busy in the broadcasting world they will have to show clients that they are much more important and vital to a shoot than just doing sound, this is the way that this business is going. Don't forget that until 15 years ago I had crews with ten people doing the job that today only requires two and often only one (OMB).

Graybeard

We've been getting $1,875.00 (10 hr.) with the XDCam 350. Yes, that's low, but I don't own the camera.

I agree with Nino, it will probably settle in the $2K area, With variations according to which camera you're using.

BTW, I was not available for the "CBS HD" conference call last week. Does anyone know if a change in equipment rates was discussed?