WORKING IN ATLANTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

COULD ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IT'S LIKE WORKING AS A PHOTOG IN ATANTA. THE TRAFFIC. THE MEDIA'S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE POLICE AND FIRE. THE COST OF LIVING AND THE FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN NEWS STATIONS. I MIGHT HAVE A JOB THERE SOON. ANY INFO WOULD HELP.....

U

<Usedtoworkinatlanta>

Originally posted by Duke:
COULD ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IT'S LIKE WORKING AS A PHOTOG IN ATANTA. THE TRAFFIC. THE MEDIA'S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE POLICE AND FIRE. THE COST OF LIVING AND THE FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN NEWS STATIONS. I MIGHT HAVE A JOB THERE SOON. ANY INFO WOULD HELP.....
Traffic sucks! With a capital "S". If you're not an aggressive driver, you'll develop road rage quickly.

Always a murder to cover. If a major car wreck doesn't have a double or more fatality attached to it, you'll be sent to another story. Murders galore. You'll cover 50,000 counties in a 50,000 mile radius! Most photogs are cool from other stations.

Most stations have good relations with cops. Apartments are outrageous in price, so find something outside the Atlanta area. The Norwood area has some nice apartments for a good monthly price, but the neighborhoods are starting to get run down there.

Make friends and let them take you out on the town. Being alone in Atlanta can get to you.

There's always something to do on your day off and ALWAYS something to shoot.

You will probably work a nightside shift and be a vo/vosot machine on the weekends.

Good Luck. Atlanta's FUN!

D

<DanInSanFran>

I worked at WXIA in Atlanta. It was one of the places to work. The news operation there was the best I have ever had the grace to work in. The Photojournalist there and at the stations in town are among the VERY best in the nation.

The city of Atlanta is a major city. You are always going to have BAD traffic. I now live in San Francisco and Atlanta has worse traffic then here. All I can say is take your time. DON'T get a speeding ticket. When rushing to a story most cops will let you drive on the side of the rode like them.

Now to the police. They can be your typical southern cops. But all and all they are very cool.

Fire. I never had them push me out of a fire area. They seem to trust us.

The only really bad thing is the big hospital. GRADY. These people SUCK! LOL. When you have full permission to come in the treat you like a king. If not. Like the big car ax you just got and your looking to get the ambulance coming in... They will try to keep you getting your shot.

A great place to live in Norwood. (I think that's the area) I had a place that was 1500 Square Feet. Great place. Fireplace and a garage for 1200 a month. OH!!! And a waffle house right next door. Wait... This is Atlanta. There's a Waffle House ever 10 feet.

I loved my time there. I wish at times I never left. I got a job in Houston doing Investigation. It was fun, But the stations in Atlanta where the most true news I have ever worked in.

If you want more info on Atlanta. I maybe able to help. E-Mail me. If I can't help maybe I can get someone else to help.

DLopez@nbc3.com
Daniel.King-Lopez@nbc.com
Dking77609@aol.com

COOL_C

I have not worked in Atlanta but I have been there enough to know that the traffic is crazy! But its going to be like that in any big city. I just came from a station where out trucks were unmarked, now I work in a city where our trucks are marked and I notice that getting around the city in a marked truck is easier than I thought.

2000lux

I just spent four and a half years living in Atlanta. Being originally from Boston I have to say the traffic is not as bad as they like to think it is. I have seen far worse.

I lived in Dunwoody where 400 meets 285. My place cost ~$900/mo for a two bedroom. A one bedroom would run about $700. It's a very nice, safe neighborhood. If you can buy some thing do it because the housing market is skyrocketing. You'll definitely make a profit when you sell.

Atlanta is very spread out. There are no natural boundaries like mountains or water to condense it. It is definitely a driving city. Want to go for a walk? Drive to the park first.

I don't know what you like to do for fun. If you like to go out drinking, there's plenty going on. If you're more interested in arty cultural events, they're there, but you'll have to dig. The Shakespeare Tavern is fun.

If you're a Yankee (from anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line or California) you'll be reminded of it nearly every day. However, southerners are very friendly and I have to say as a Bostonian, I didn’t really learn manners until I moved to Atlanta.

In the winter it usually flurries once a year and that’s it. Once in a great while they get an ice storm or appreciable snow. Last year we got four inches of snow and it shut down the city for two days. In the summer… well, they don’t call it HOTlanta for nothing! When it rains it pours like you wouldn’t believe.

It's a top ten market and an interesting place. I'd take the job. At the very least you'll have some excellent barbecue!

-Brian

[ January 08, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: 2000lux ]

H

<HOTLANTA>

I used to live in Atlanta. Fun city to be in. Lots of things to do, especially if you are into civil war history. If you are into boating, there are two lakes- Altoona and Lake Lanier. Lake Lanier is where they had boating for the olympics. If you do get down there, go to the World of Coke- the best place in downtown atlanta.

Have fun-
Check out Cobb County for places to live.

Duke

Thanks guys for all the info concerning Atlanta. And yes I am a Southern boy. I know what it's like to live in a place and be reminded each and every day that your not from there. Years ago I lived in New York and for a while in Maine. Not a day went by that I didn't deal with a comment or two about who won the war. About my accent or that us Southern boys marry our cousins. After about a year of hearing that, I finally told this one co-worker that he had it all wrong. I was different from the rest of the boys from the south. I slept with a lot of my cousins but never married any of them. He shut up with the stupid comments. Enough about that.

Again thanks to all who responded to my question.

A

<Atlanta>

Does anyone know the name of the Chief or News Op. Manager at WAGA? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.