why newspaper video sucks

Shootblue

Our local Gannett paper has started really pushing the video. Now they have iphones to record interviews and random (and i do mean random) "b-roll". These folks would be better off getting a slideshow of ten pics together and voicing it than shooting video. Ironically, our management is pushing picture galleries of stills we pull out of our video...Our top ten hits every day are almost always photo galleries or some weird tabloid-esque news, usually national in origin.

Focused

sick

I just threw up a little.

Even if you take the course, your stuff will suck as you won't be credentialed to see anything past your hotel room.

Michaelrosenblum

Sorry. I stand by this. And we have been working with The Guardian for two years, so they have had lots of experience with the results. It does work.

cameragod

You know if you just said we can teach you to shoot better video I wouldn't have a problem its the BS about broadcast quality that gets to me

Havn't we been over this. Why beat the dead horse? Michael is running his business. I am running my business. Many here are working for other businesses. We fight for clients elsewhere. I come here to trade information. You can't make or break your business on this board, but you can learn a whole lot. Quit fighting windmills Don Quixote.

Ben Longden

At least our local paper makes us look great.... When they go out on a breaker, their cammo shoots the stills and the jurno gets his notes... and then takes 30 sec hand held video with his iPhone while at the scene...

The quality of the work and camera handling skills make us look fantastic..

Michaelrosenblum

Stephen - what is 'broadcast quality'? (Particularly these days). Don't move the camera. Get 20 - 30 clean shots, 2 sound bites, shoot in sequences, track narration. Presto. A piece as good as much of what is on CNN or local news, no? You bet. You won't win any emmys after 4 days, but with a bit of discipline anyone can match a lot of what you see on TV today.

B&T

My wife works for Gannet as a Photographer. Or she was a photographer. She now shoots only video. They issued her a Sony Z5u and I have rounded out the rest of here gear. She practiced, took online courses, and asked me a lot of questions. So her video and stories can compete with the broadcast operations. Occasionally they do get picked up by the locals.

Recently they issued iPhones to all the reporters and photographers. It is not unusual for them to post raw cell phone video. During a snow storm last year they were told to post raw video of the snow. Made no sense but the video of the reporter cleaning off his car was exactly what management was looking for.

Sad. So sad.

I don't think the managers in newspapers know how to use video. Don't try to compete with TV. Do what you do best ,tell longer form in depth stories. Use video to supplement that. Posting raw video is not the answer.

code20photog

At least our local paper makes us look great.... When they go out on a breaker, their cammo shoots the stills and the jurno gets his notes... and then takes 30 sec hand held video with his iPhone while at the scene...

The quality of the work and camera handling skills make us look fantastic..
When was the last time you watched a local news broadcast? Half our video is submitted iPhone footage and crappy stringer shots.

cameragod

Well according to your ad you teach "perfect broadcast quality" that is the equivalent of a $50,000 crew, that would buy a lot more than local tv quality.

Last edited:

Nino

Stephen - what is 'broadcast quality'? (Particularly these days).
This is what "these days" broadcasting quality looks like Michael, way over your head and not even close to $50,000

And this is still classified as ENG/EFP journalism/feature.

Why don’t you show the difference from what the $50,000 job looks like compared to what your student can do. You said it so you must have some comparisons. Words are cheap and your fortune is the overabundance if ignorance in this country.

I bet you never mention to your student that those few lucky VJs who actually have a job according to the US Labor Census are making an average salary of $25,000, that's less than welfare recipients get. Most VJs can't even get "no pay" jobs.

You know that web journalism is in deep sh!t when it becomes a target for the funnies.

Nino

I believe they made a mistake on the title, double check it Michael. I'm sure it was:

"How will I make a million by giving you the illusion that you can make a million with your iPhone"

newsshooter

Books like that and sales pitches like Michaels are a big reason why this business is dying a slow death. Cheaper, faster and crappier but who cares.

Nino

Nino...
Only a million????
Barely worth the effort :)
You’re probably right, I don’t think there’s a census on how many brainless idiots with $22 in their pockets are in this country and I really don't know many, but evidently they've all be gravitating your way.