where are the other cameraographers?

PAD Imaging

Not what you think...

As I think back on watching news critically; is it a camera school / unwritten rule no one shows the other cameramen at the event unless it's a "wow, what a zoo!"-type segment?

I can understand in the studio environment, but is it too distracting to normal people, or are cameramen like tourists? You know, 'overlook shooters'...

PAD Imaging

I think I answered my own question. Coming from mostly still work, I always made an effort NOT to shoot from where the crowd is. To get something they haven't seen, you have to go where the others aren't. It also explains why you can flip channels and see the same thing on each. Thanks!

AKinDC

I think I answered my own question. Coming from mostly still work, I always made an effort NOT to shoot from where the crowd is. To get something they haven't seen, you have to go where the others aren't. It also explains why you can flip channels and see the same thing on each. Thanks!
Good work! You manged to start a thread solely to congratulate yourself. Be proud!

CSpotNews

It also explains why you can flip channels and see the same thing on each. Thanks!
To some degree, but guys like me are another reason why you see the same video on each station sometimes. We shoot the story once and sell it to multiple stations. Much more cost effective for them and more money for guys like me.

To answer your original question, I've always figured it's because most of us have a face for radio and a voice for print (I know I do on both counts). ;)

kalika

Great efforts...Your efforts to manage thread solely are really appreciable.
Go ahead with your great efforts..Best of luck.