What the hell is wrong with still photogs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

<flashcrashsmash>

Yeah, I used to be so engrossed in that up-close-and-personal stuff that I would forget there were other photogs there, and I'd piss them off. Unless it's a gang-bang courthouse interview where everyone's pushing & shoving each other anyway, it's better to just keep the same distance as everyone else. In other words, do as the Romans do.

NEWS_HAWK

Several moons ago I was shooting outside the Houses of Parliment in London. Standing behind the Police barrier to get a couple of seconds of an MP leaving Parliment after some scandal or another. I am standing on the ground and behind me are two Still photogs standing on 3 foot ladders as the MP (Member of Parliment) walked past My camera was wrenched backwards from my shoulder pulling me to the ground. As I turned around to regain my footing I see this Still Photogs hand on the back of my Rig. I get back to shooting and it happened again. As I swung around to confront him I managed to wack him in the lip with the Anton Bauer brick the resulted in his lip exploding. The still guy next to him starts shouting "Leave my Man alone" and starts to pound on me with his monopod. A split second later two Police officers pulled the barrier away and helped me back in front of the barracade. The Officer said in a loud voice you will get a better shot from over here. Much to the anger of the still boys. Who were shouting that I was to be arrested for assaulting them. The police saw the whole thing luckily from the first moment they started pulling at my rig to the accidental wack in the Lip from my camera. Thats just one incident I have had in the past.

We are all trying to do a job and attemptng to get the best pictures possible often under ridiculous circumstances, Civility seems to go out the window these days. Another sad show of the times.

Stay safe folks.....

P

<positions>

I just touch someone on the shoulder if they step in front of me. If they push their way further I know it's not an accident and I have to push back. You have to protect your space

D

<David Sussman>

It's not that tough to get what you need even in a gang-bang situation. There are folks in my market who are less agreeable than others and they rarely get "a little help" from their peers. If I need a little extra space to squeeze in, I usually get it because those I ask know I would (and have in the past) accomodated them.

As far as having to be obnoxious, I don't see the need. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, I truly would rather be remembered by my peers as a nice person rather than the guy who always got the center position of a perp walk. It's just not worth it. When it comes right down to it, you really have only two things in life - your health and your reputation and you have a good bit of control over the latter.

marv3

Out here in LA we have all sorts of problems with still photographers. Some are cool but for the most part there assholes, Especially at entertainment events. At the red carpet stuff they have sections for video and still. But it only takes one guy with a hard on for the star of the hour to mess with people. I had three guys crowding me and they didn't care. But here is how you take care of that. Depending on what side they are on just swing your camera around fast and you will hit him in the back of the head with the anton bauer. Knocked a filling out of his mouth and my fellow videographers backed me up. Felt really good . :)

ArtY1

I wanted to put my 2 cents in here as I use to be a still Photog before making the move to video. The one thing I cant stress enough is cooperation. YES we all have a job to do BUT it can be done well if we all communicate a little before , during and after the event. None of us can admit to not getting caught up in the moment and occassionaly we do step in others way This I beleive is going to happen so except it. By being a professional you can adjust by either letting that shot go or finding another angle or moving in closer yourself if possible. Cooperation is the name of the game and you would be amazed on how easy it is for everyone to get their "shoot" one you extablish some ground rules..Good luck

P

<photog3535>

Ok, this is how I look at it. I have only been a photog for about 2 years now, and I think I have picked up a lot. One thing I have definately learn, is WHEN AT ALL POSSIBLE, stay out of each other's shots. But this is news. Let's face it, it's extremely competitive. In Shooter's situation, I would have just gotten what I needed without intruding. His actions in that situation were wrong. But on something more competitive, I couldn't care less if I get in someone's shot. When someone is being arrested, BAM, I get my shot. If I get in the way I get in the way. We are all, and should all, be very competitive. But that does NOT mean we can be jerks. I am competitive with other photogs in this area all the time, but when it comes down to it we all get along. We all have jobs to do, and we all face extreme pressures. We have to do what we have to do, and in some situations it gets sticky and heated. Oh, and by the way. For those of you who get outrageously upset when someone walks in your shot, remember, it could be an honest mistake. Just simply reminding the person in a nice way would be a good first step. If they are a jerk after that, then all bets are off. I guess what I am saying is that it's not good to be on either side of the extreme. Try to stay balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.