What, no Edius thread?

HokiePhotog

My shop is getting ready to finally kick the tape-to-tape habit and go tapeless (well, other than for shooting...)

We're going with Edius 5.5 with a Bitcentral playout system (with a redundant backup playout server). Canopus is training the staff in-house, so hopefully most of our questions will be answered (I've only tinkered with it here and there as they've been setting up the workstations.

What I'd love to know is, just how many other shops out there use Edius? It'd be nice to know there's others out there we can bounce questions back and forth...

JMC

There is a lot of Edius hate on these boards, and I'm not exactly sure why(though I think I can guess). It's nowhere near as good as Avid or Final Cut, but it does have plenty of tools and it's pretty easy to pick up. I have a feeling that there's a good number of Edius shops out there, though I'd assume they're mostly in small to mid-sized markets.

I used Edius for about 2 years in my last shop, and got to know it pretty well. In addition to the basic NLE effects like WB correction, a good variety of transitions, and video filters (blurs, chroma, et al), it also has easy to use tools for manipulating stills, and building your own transitions. Granted, those aren't gonna get too much use in day to day ENG, but it's good to have for sweeps and other feature stories.

That said, there is a reason that Edius/BitCentral comes with a redundant playout server. These things go down, a lot. I don't know if it was buggy hardware, software, or just plain bad luck, but it seems we were always running into problems with the servers. In fact there were a few instances when both playout servers went down at the same time, just before air. We ended up playing out through an editor in Master Control that was hard wired into the board.

Now every NLE system has its problems, but just like everything else in this business, you get what you pay for.

P.S. Compared to what I'm using now, Edius is pure gold. Just thank your lucky stars the powers that be in your neck of the woods didn't get suckered into buying Quantel.

lucky13

We have been using Edius here for 3 or 4 years now. As JMC stated, it's not the "best" software, but there are definitely worse out there. We haven't had too many playout issues, but they do happen from time to time.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

Rad

I like Edius, to me it's fast, easy to use and simple to understand.

However the Bit Central Precis server system crashes regularly. We STILL BACK UP OUR STORIES TO TAPE for playback. The archive function is horrible. Hope your engineering staff is on their toes, this system will keep them busy!

Latin Lens

We've got Edius at our shop and I really like it...I find it easy to use and has all the effects I could want and more. We got 3 and half years ago...so if you have any questions I know it pretty well and will and try to help you out.

lbvp

My shop is getting ready to finally kick the tape-to-tape habit and go tapeless (well, other than for shooting...)

We're going with Edius 5.5 with a Bitcentral playout system (with a redundant backup playout server). Canopus is training the staff in-house, so hopefully most of our questions will be answered (I've only tinkered with it here and there as they've been setting up the workstations.

What I'd love to know is, just how many other shops out there use Edius? It'd be nice to know there's others out there we can bounce questions back and forth...
Hokie, go to the Edius Forum and get yourself an account. http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/

There's a number of pretty knowlegable folks on the board who can usually solved most issues ( the server issues may be one area where there may not be a lot of specific knowledge as it more of a BitCentral thing but it a good probability that the trainer is one of the forum's moderators)

People will always have likes and dislkes about software. personally, I cant figure out why FCP can't handle a basic MPEG2 file

BTW, Edius became a Grass Valley product 2-3 years ago.

HokiePhotog

What file format? I know it supports *most* pic formats including the standard .jpg, .gif and such along with .png, .tiff, .targa... I wouldn't be surprised if it also took .raw, but I've never tried... My shop doesn't have anything that outputs .raw. Anyone else know?

Clutch City

What file format? I know it supports *most* pic formats including the standard .jpg, .gif and such along with .png, .tiff, .targa... I wouldn't be surprised if it also took .raw, but I've never tried... My shop doesn't have anything that outputs .raw. Anyone else know?
I was referring to video files when using a dslr to shoot HD video.

edius

I like Edius, it pretty fast and has more transitions than we ever use. Also, a a decent 3D picture in Picture for moving images and the such. We have a Crispin server and haven't had too many problems with it. I think it's solid and for what we use it for its fine. I don't know about the Canon thing, but it seems to handle most video formats. Also, we have a video converter program that helps with oddball files.

HokiePhotog

AVI, MOV, MPG, MXF, and many others... If you have the camera's drivers/software installed on your computer (which you probably do), then you should have no problem importing the clips into Edius. According to the GV Edius website:

Video Formats:

Canopus HQ
Canopus Lossless
Canopus DV
DVCPRO 50
DVCPRO HD
HDV
Ikegami GFCAM
Infinity JPEG 2000
Microsoft DV
MPEG-1
MPEG-2 program stream, elementary stream, transport stream (SD and HD)
P2 (SD and HD)
VariCam
QuickTime (including DV, DVCPRO HD)
XDCAM (SD and HD)
Uncompressed
Windows Media