What happened to the ties?

code20photog

Is there a tie shortage all of a sudden? At least in our market, it seems fewer and fewer male reporters are wearing ties these days. Most of the time it's the shirt and jacket with no tie look, but there's a lot of cases where it's just a shirt. No tie to be found.

Is it just our market, or is this something new all over?

grinner

Most anchors still wear em but I don't think I've seen a reporter clip one on in over a decade. I do recall wind funnies int he 70s though.

Shootblue

I shoot some special projects with one anchor who I sometimes have to police for being a little too Tom Jones.

photoguy603

At my shop ties are the norm. Unless its something like a beach or weather story...but other than that I'd say I see ties about 95% of the time in my market

AKinDC

It's just following the cultural norm...business casual has replaced jacket and tie in most workplaces.
Here in DC, the last restaurant to have a tie requirement just gave in as well. It's a new age. :)
Anyway, ties suck.

goodfoot

many reporters I know are shooting their own stuff now and ties have been replaced by a more work friendly attire. Also, ties are a little dated and stodgy for field crews in my opinion unless you are covering the capitol or a story where more formal attire is appropriate. If we were covering a funeral, as a photographer I would also wear a tie and coat if we were going into the service out of respect.

A Step Above Productions

many reporters I know are shooting their own stuff now and ties have been replaced by a more work friendly attire. Also, ties are a little dated and stodgy for field crews in my opinion unless you are covering the capitol or a story where more formal attire is appropriate. If we were covering a funeral, as a photographer I would also wear a tie and coat if we were going into the service out of respect.
I second the funeral comment. Too many times I have seen other photogs enter a funeral with shorts and a t-shirt.

elvez

Guilty of above, desk switched shooters at last minute and I caught the funeral.
Never have I been so embarrassed. After that I had Dockers and a long sleeve shirt in my truck.

Rad

Fewer ties, more casual writing, slang... saw a story the other day with a local reporter and House speaker walking down the sidewalk... reporter was smacking gum during the interview. Sad. I must be old.

On another note... I hit the Goodwill about once a year to buy a jacket and tie to keep in the car. It may not be stylish, but works for "spot" funerals or Legislative duty.