WDJT live truck mast hits power lines

svp

Wow. I'm at a shock at how the crew didn't see those numerous power lines on such a bright clear day. We're not talking about one powerline at dusk or after dark. Anyone have any info on the make-up of the staff at this station? Lot of turnover? Vets? Newbies? VJ's?

UPDATE: Now that I actually read the article I see they drove off with the mast up. This amazes me. When I was working local news, our live trucks would not go into gear if the mast was up. It was a great safety feature that prevented this kind of accident from happening. I'm surprised it isn't federal law to require that safety feature on ALL vehicles with telecoping masts.

Last edited:

csusandman

"...I think there's a little bit of embarrassment here..."

Multiplied ten-fold by the coverage of their competitors of course!

Glad everyone's ok though...

Chicago Dog

Does this station train their photogs?
That's a damn scary question with an equally scary answer: I doubt it. Why else would they have three live truck accidents in the span of five years? Even one is too many.

Does OSHA get involved when there's a live truck accident?

Necktie Boy

How do you drive away with 30 foot mask up? Doesn't the truck rock and roll with that extra top heavy weight?

Training....training...training...

The Old Guy

If I was asked to operate a live truck and it didn't have hydro sensors and drive off lockout, I would simply refuse. I would rather work at Walmart. After 20 years on live trucks I refuse to put my life at risk for a corporation. Any and every live truck operator, no matter how much training or experience, is capable of making a life threatening mistake. That's why the safety devices exist.