Warning Seagate Drives Failing

BNVN

I just got burned by this tonight so I'm passing along the heads up.

If you have a Seagate Hard Drive for your computer, check out the following story.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9126280

There is a major issue with the 1TB drives that is causing them all to fail. The data is still there from what I have been reading but the firmware for the drive is DOA.

I had a 1TB drive stop responding tonight and I was in the middle of backing up data on it. I shut the computer down to swap out USB drives that I was putting data on from the Seagate 1tb drive then turned the computer back on and the drive was DOA.

BNVN

I spent most of last night researching this and their is a fix for the tech heads.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=20

I'm bringing my drive over to my brother-inlaws today to see if he can fix it. He runs a custom computer shop in town.

If this does not work then I have to bring the drive into OnTrack and that will cost from $600 - $2000 to recover the video files.

BNVN

I ordered up the RS232 to TTL part that they talked about on the MSFN forums and it should be here next week. I'm going to give this a try to get the drive out of the BSY or busy state first before shipping the drive off to Seagate or On Track. I really don't want to let the drive go back to Seagate because what is to stop them from saying it is bad and here is a new drive without fixing or recovering the data.

BNVN

Update, After trying to figure out the fix for the drive, I was able to recover all of the data that is on the drive. All of it, all 800 gigs is now back to normal and working just fine and being backed up right now.

If you have one of the Seagate drives, there is a way to fix it but it takes some work to recover the data but it can be done without spending several grand.

Ouch to BNVN; costing that much to get back the data.

To this date it still suprises me at to where stations cut costs in their budgets. As also mentioned in an earlier posting in this thread mentioning RAID's... I'm suprised that literally not every station has some type of mirrored RAID. These drives can be added into just about any system and can be built with it at a relatively low cost. Consider the few hundred extra dollars as insurance. But if the stations want to roll the dice??