WARM CARDS

Sportsguy

Originally posted by redmikeu2:
If I was the seller of warm cards then I would be worried. I got to test out a Sony XD Cam and it has a function accesible through the menu called off white balance. This function allows a photog to manually warm or cool the white balance. I would white balance on a white card and then turn the function on and raise the kelvin temperature on the camera. It works like a charm with the flip out lcd monitor. I didn't have to use a warm card once to warm my video up.
Mike
Heck, you can do the same on a PD-150!

Im a poor College student, and cannot afford warm cards. Does anyone know what Dutch Boy paint color is the match for different warm cards. It would be easy for some one to match the card up to a hardware store chip book, So poor people can make there own. I did the same thing for chroma paint, and was able to have a nice green screen for 1/5 the cost of "real" chroma paint.

Thanks

MilVid19+

It is amazing to me to find out that warm cards even exist. I was taught as a very young Air Force shooter to white balance on a blue uniform shirt to get this exact effect but now that the majority of the military has adopted the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) as the uniform of the day I didn't have the same opportunity. I've got a set of cards coming for me and one for my troop so I can teach him the joy of manipulating white balance. I can't wait to experiment under flourescents with the minus green.

Madman

I always use either a 1 or a 2 but havent come into a situation too use the 3... can someone who uses it give me a situation where the three wont "over warm"?

I would use 3 with a warm card in the shade. That is when it looks the best I think.

JTFCM

Madman, I've cut your video before. Don't lie! you've never white balanced in your life.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

I love shooting on warm cards. my old station gave all of the photogs warm cards for a christmas gift. So i thought these warm cards are mine to keep. the only problem was when i left the station, the CP told me that the warm cards i got as a christmas stay at the station. so in a nut shell my old station took my chirstmas gift off of me. but when i did have my warm cards i loved them.

pre-set

You guys really white balance THAT much?!? :eek: Wow! I think I WB about once a week...... if that. Plus, how do you really get a sense of the warming/color effect unless you're using a monitor?

I find it's easier for me to shoot on my pre-sets and have consistant temps., then if I wanna do a color effect later I can. Gotta love Avid in a live truck, huh?!?!

(and yeah - I'm used to the shocked reaction when I tell people I never balance.... whatever. I spent a lotta time tuning my camera. I trust it.)

[ July 16, 2005, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: pre-set ]

Sportsguy

Originally posted by Madman:
I always use either a 1 or a 2 but havent come into a situation too use the 3... can someone who uses it give me a situation where the three wont "over warm"?

I would use 3 with a warm card in the shade. That is when it looks the best I think.
I use 3 when I do sit down interviews using elaborate lighting. Gives it a very nice, almost Sports Century warmth to it.

NEWS_HAWK

I bought a set last year and have used them several times. I have looked at the image output via vectorscope and made a few adjustments to my Color Matrix tables. This is not something that anyone should do unless you know what your doing. Not all cameras will default back to the original factory Matrix table if you Mess up.

I am going to be posting some setups here soon for those of you who are running an AJD-700,800,900 rig.

Also it is very important to understand that Black and white shading must be performed between different lenses. Not many people understand that the lens can also affect the white balance of the camera head.

ENGaged

Other than the convenience factor, have you found any differences between using a warm card and holding 1/4 ctb over your lens?