Viewfinder or Monitor?

cyndygreen1

I think I know the the answer to this...but I'm toying around with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and have been debating whether to go with a Zacuto viewfinder or a monitor. Each has its pluses and minuses. I'm used to shooting run and gun, which is why the viewfinder tempts me. But the monitor offers a better view - especially if I go for low shots.

Suggestions and opinions?

Lensmith

To me...a monitor is for jobs with clients who need/want to see the shot.
If you are not dealing with having to allow people to see the shot all the time...I'd suggest you get the best viewfinder possible, instead.

Run&Gun

The Zacuto Graticle is supposed to start shipping any day now. If the production model has the same image as the prototype I played with at NAB, it won't disappoint. OLED is awesome. Image blows the Alphatron away, and I own the Alphatron and like it. Only downside(s): you can't flip up the diopter and view the screen directly if you need to(comes in handy sometimes for certain shots) and it's more than double the price of the Alphatron.

It depends on what you are doing. If it is a lot of low stuff or sitting behind a tripod than a monster is nice because you get a better view without necessarily having to be right up on top of things. Otherwise like John said get the best VF you can find. In the ideal world get both and switch them out depending on what you are doing.

Personally I am a huge fan of what sony has been doing the last few years with the removable eye cup monitors that you can flip around.

cyndygreen1

I'm no good at sitting still anywhere. And I got the Zacuto Pro used from a local production guy - at about half price and only used a few times. The idea of using a monitor was attractive until I began thinking (as you have all pointed out) about my shooting style, which is run and run news, on a tripod when necessary but otherwise grabbing life as it happens. Thanks all.

Ben Longden

Depends on the gig...

Run and gun ENG its viewfinder..

Field Production where i'm standing behind the lens for a couple of hours (football, concerts etc) then its a viewfinder..

Helping out the local indies, I have a monitor on top and a remote monitor for the director with audio...

cyndygreen1

I'm using the BMPCC more as a backup on shoots and will begin using it on shorter interviews to take advantage of the DOF. Personally for shooting b-roll I prefer a real camera.