UV Protection Filter for Broadcast Lens

I started at a new production house a few months ago and am still finding little quirks about our gear that need to be resolved. One of those... We have a Panasonic HPX500 with a KJ20x8.5B KRSD 2/3" lens, and I just noticed that the lens doesn't have any sort of UV protection filter on it. But there's no indication on the lens what the filter size is... I've searched and searched online, and haven't found any reference to the filter size anywhere...

So... Is there a standard filter thread size for 2/3" lenses? I hate to have to just make a guess and buy a filter I think might work. Just curious if any of you have any advice.

Thanks,

satpimp

I think the lens has an 82 mm thread. But not 100%. Many opinions on filters. Mine is... Clear filter for harsh conditions to protect front element. Most of the time no filter and general lens care. A polarizing filter is just gravy here in the Sunshine State.

Good Luck,

Run&Gun

B&H lists the recommended filter as 82mm.

If you shoot outside, protection. If it's all inside in controlled situations, you should be safe without a filter. My .02

Land Rover

Even if its a clear filter I'd always have one on the camera. Its a lot cheaper to replace that if you ding it into something that to replace the front lens element.

Capt. Slo-mo

in the 2/3rds world, always put a filter in front of the prime lens. Cheap insurance against an expensive repair, and it you keep it clean, you'll never know it's there. I'm a big fan of the B&W clear MRC-nano filters.

Clear filter should be standard across the whole range of lenses. I can understand some lenses like 35mm fish-eye may not be able to mount them due to special constraints. But as a still photographer it was beaten into me to use the things and over the years I have seen case after case where that piece of clear glass would have saved a whole world of hurt. Anyone remember the case of the box lens that got written on with permanent marker a couple of years ago. Apparently the players do that a lot in European soccer but those cameras use filters. This was not soccer and this one did not have the filter.

Clear filters should be standard on any lens that goes out, they can always be taken off if the situation calls for it. But you cannot magic one up if you are going to need it and it isn't there.

Clear filters should be standard on any lens that goes out, they can always be taken off if the situation calls for it. But you cannot magic one up if you are going to need it and it isn't there.
That's what I was taught as well. Much easier (and cheaper) to replace a cheap filter than a broadcast lens.

And in my case, we do shoot mostly indoors, but do have the occasional outdoor shoot. The good news is that I do have the time to switch out filters if necessary. I'm not in news anymore, but rather at a production house. So our schedule isn't quite as run and gun as a newsroom. I'll just pick up the 82mm filter.

Thanks everyone!

Even if its a clear filter I'd always have one on the camera. Its a lot cheaper to replace that if you ding it into something that to replace the front lens element.
Evan, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you at KTBS in Shreveport at one point? I was at KTAL then, and went to KTBS a few years later.

canuckcam

I'd be interested to know if there's been any research/comparison into this:

The front element coating is quite hard and durable. What substances/treatment would scratch the coating vs say, a smashed clear filter fragments scratching the front coating?

So the tradeoff is potential fogging and internal reflections from the UV/clear filter vs potential of an expensive scratch.

All that said... I have a filter on my lens all the time. :)

jeremycohn

Trust me from very recent experience, don't even think of shooting without a filter!!

I removed mine after it got fogged up, then a helicopter landed dangerously close and the front element of my Canon lens was completely sandblasted. It cost my shop $1600 to fix. That's an expensive lesson.