Using still?s in your story

• Thread starter <in-the-desert>
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

<in-the-desert>

Using still’s in your story

I videotape a lot of investigative stuff for my station. So I do a lot of surveillance on people we are after. I got a nice 35MM Camera with a long lenses and on a “steak out” I’ll take some black and white still’s of the person were after and use them in my story to give it a more “investigative” feel. Does any one else do this or have done this? Any tips or is it too tacky?

Thanks
The-Big-Guy

S

<steede>

Talk to your reporter and editor and see what they think. Stills are nice, but if you're carrying a 35mm w/300 lens in addition to your ENG camera that sounds a little cumbersome- i.e. tough to carry both, and tough to focus on shooting both.

-steede

A

<Another idea>

Why do you need the still camera. I've had pretty good luck taking video, still it, run it through a tbc to remove the chroma then put it in a DVE if you want movement. Dealing with the extra gear sounds like a total pain to me.

mknisely

I put a lot of production into my pieces... I like to pull up Newspapers, old mug shoots, and scene photos and have slides made so I can project the images on any surface (brick walls, concrete, wood decking etc.). I have on occasion used a fog machine to create mist over these surfaces and projections; this elevates the story tenfold. I also use a 5.5 megapixel digital camera with automatic focus to grab the shots of walks and busts.

Good job of thinking out of the box on a non-visiual story keep it up.

I

<in-the-desert>

Thanks for all of your responses Guys. The camera that I have does not get in the way at all. And I all ways shoot video before stills for my story but we often do 3-4 "steak-out's" of the person were after. And just like you Matt I want to make my snuff stand out. Ill have to keep in mind the use for slide's. Sounds like a good idea. With my stills ill put them on a black cloth and shoot them with my ENG camera and use my avid to do some pretty crazy stuff with them. Every body loves it. Thanks for the ideas

The-Big-Guy

H

<Homeric>

Originally posted by <in-the-desert>:
we often do 3-4 "steak-out's" of the person were after
MMMM. Steak. I'll take mine rare.

Or did you mean "stake-out"?

I

<in-the-Desert>

Originally posted by <Homeric>:
quote: Originally posted by <in-the-desert>:
we often do 3-4 "steak-out's" of the person were after
MMMM. Steak. I'll take mine rare.

Or did you mean "stake-out"?
No I ment "steak out" It's kind of an inside joke if you think about it you will get it to lol

The Big Guy

S

<Steve Kaufmann>

Try nat sound pops of camera clicks between stills. That shutter click and motor drive really says still photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.