Troops come home

valkbilly

Nice story. Here are my tips...
A mic is to get sound... no need to ever see it. If you get sound, get a shot of that person, doing something... do not show a head shot for broll. No need to always show a head, broll the bite.
Tell your reporter to shut up... let the people tell the story.
All around, nice job for 1 year shooting and editing... keep it up!

rb21089

Thanks for the tips/critique!

I actually shot the story solo -- and I interviewed about 5 different soldiers and a family member... so I wasn't too happy that the reporter had so much track.

valkbilly

solo shoot ?? Heres a tip... always sit them down when asking questions... you can switch sides and it keeps them still.

I had a troops come home story go bad a while back. We miced up a wife who was holding a young child and talked to her. We got a lot of video of the family awaiting his return. Then after the joyful reunion we asked the husband if we could ask him a few questions and he said "no i don/'t want to be on tv" and refused to talk to us.

Fortunatly there was another group of troops coming in right behind them so we got a 2nd go at it.

rb21089

I had a troops come home story go bad a while back. We miced up a wife who was holding a young child and talked to her. We got a lot of video of the family awaiting his return. Then after the joyful reunion we asked the husband if we could ask him a few questions and he said "no i don/'t want to be on tv" and refused to talk to us.

Fortunatly there was another group of troops coming in right behind them so we got a 2nd go at it.
I didn't mic a family up, but I did focus on one family for this story. And sure enough, when the father got home, he talked to another station -- and when I finally found him, he said he was talked out and wanted to go home.

Oh well. They just got back from Iraq, they can do what they want.