thinking about getting rid of all my tungstens

Starman

Thinking about getting rid of all my tungstens, or at least a lot of the heads, and putting my 200 watt Bron as a key light in my kit, and get a Chimera speed ring and some CTO gel. Also thinking about selling off some of my tungstens and getting some led fersnels so that it could still function like an Arri type kit. What options are out there? Are there bi-colored or filtered options with CTO?

Does anyone here have the litepanels sola lights? Are you happy with them?

Douglas

I have some Litepanels Solas and love them. Great lights. Haven't shot with tungsten for over three years now.

Starman

Douglas, I read a review of the Sola ENG light and there were some complaints about fan noise?

Douglas

Total bull****. You'd have to put your ear right against it to even know it was running. Same thing goes for all the Sola lights. Would I use them if they made noise?

Focused

BS alert

I have 2 SOLA 4s and they are absolutely noise free. You can almost feel air from the fan on your hand when it is pressed against the back of the light--at the exhaust port--but you have to think about it.

I have not used my tungsten kit in over a year and was thinking of selling it or donating to a school. Then last week hit. I had a shoot in a bowling alley where everything was 2900K and we were on a tight schedule. Instead of gelling all of my LEDs I brought out the tungsten. Singers everywhere. There were 2-100 foot runs, because lets face it, bowling alley's built 30 years ago didn't need many outlets. I really don't miss that with LEDs and D-tap power.

Run&Gun

I have three Sola ENG's that I have bought over the years since they introduced them and I bought the three light flight case kit(for a total of six, now) back in November. You can hear the fan in a VERY quiet environment with your ear close to the fixture, but I've never heard it on-camera. I also have an original LP 1x1 daylight and just received two Astra 1x1's last week. I love the Sola ENG's. I do have some issues with their design that really bugs me, but the quality of light is great and so far has out weighed the (in my opinion)design flaws. The Astra's are really nice. Bi-color and a lot of punch. The power set-up is in-elegant and janky as hell, though(can someone tell me why they decided to use a THREE pin XLR for power?). And the overall design I think was penned by Fisher-Price, But again, good light(you will need some 1/8 minus green if you use them with legacy 1x1 LP panels, though). They also take up a LOT of room because of the design of the yoke. The PortaBrace case designed for two of them still hasn't shipped yet, so the only case I had that would fit them was a Pelican 1650. Yes, I had to put two 1x1 LED's in a 1650…

I did National Signing Day on Wednesday(all Live and/or 60P 'video') and I used the two Astra's as keys, a Sola as a top light like always and used two Sola's for the background when they shut the studio lighting off. Everything looked great. There was tungsten and flo's in the room/studio also, but all of my lighting that I set was LED.

Fast forward to today and I was shooting sit-downs in 24P. All tungsten. I'm not getting rid of any of mine. In fact I just added another Source Four a few weeks ago.

Different tools for different situations.

Starman

All good points people. I am keeping the tungsten, but want to eventually slowly add a couple of LED's.

Currently in my 4Runner I have a Pelican with two 1x1 Dracast LED's and next to that, a Pelican with a 5-head tungsten kit. I also have a 200 watt HMI. I use that for live shots or sometimes my 1K Lowel DP light with a Dichroic filter. Under a silk, the Dracasts help as well, they are pretty punchy for panel lights.

My next goal is to probably add a Kino Barfly 400 D and a Diva light (just have to find space in my 4Runner!) I would like to have an LED fersnel kit as well, but that may come after the Kino Flos. I already have plenty of lighting, but I DO like the nice large soft light that Kinos put out.

I did National Signing Day on Wednesday(all Live and/or 60P 'video') and I used the two Astra's as keys, a Sola as a top light like always and used two Sola's for the background when they shut the studio lighting off. Everything looked great. There was tungsten and flo's in the room/studio also, but all of my lighting that I set was LED.