Suggestions for correcting some shooting issues

GPS

Hi everyone, it's great to be back on the board.

I try to zoom only very infrequently. But recently it was necessary while shooting a band playing. I was not happy with my shooting at all in that - uneven speed on the zooms, and on the pans, and on combinations of both zooming and panning, some slight jerking when coming off a locked shot, as well as some slight camera downward drift when being distracted by something happening in the back. And when holding a shot for a long time (not locked down because I intended to zoom at some point) there was a downward drift over time. Barely perceptible as it was happening, but definitely there.

Trying to do anything with the zoom ring is even worse than the handle zoom.

The camera is an NX5U. I was on a tripod.

These issues are happening unconsciously and continue to plague me even when practicing the moves to overcome it.

Welcome your suggestions for correcting this and also any practical exercises that can help. I am dedicated to not carry this issue over into the new year.

Thank you,
GPS

Last edited:

Douglas

The solution is simple: GET A BETTER TRIPOD AND HEAD.
Whatever you are using is junk. You may have to work on improving your shooting techniques as well, but the problems you are describing can't be overcome without decent hardware under the camera.

I use an expensive O'Connor 1030D with my heavier cameras, but I recently picked up a Sachtler FSB-6 with carbon fiber legs for my smaller cameras like the EX1 and the new FS5. Wow! This thing is fantastic! Super smooth, the counter balance is right on the money, I can take my hands off it without any jerking or drifting. And it's less than $2K. Any pro should be able to afford $2K on something as critical as a good head and sticks. Like my O'Connor, this is an investment that will serve me for years.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=498211&gclid=CNyz4bz0_8kCFYeRHwodeN0Gww&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

I will second dougles on this one. I actually prefer something heavier than needed with in reason. The NX series cameras are rather light and I don't like having something that I don't feel is firmly rooted to the ground for that type of work. As for the zoom speed situation that depends on the camera model, lens and how good the servos are unless you are manually pulling focus.

GPS

The tripod is a Pro Vista V12- is that a decent unit?
Still have a lot of frustration with the zoom though. It's notable that the zoom ring seems to have a little 'catch' when it turns although I think the main problem is me not having developed the fine motor control needed. It's mostly smooth but I do notice these recurring issues. Mostly I use the zoom on the handle but would like to be comfortable either way. Uneven.

Douglas

The tripod is a Pro Vista V12- is that a decent unit?
Absolute junk. Not even up to consumer-grade status. Throw it away.

You asked for help, and the advice you have been given is to get better gear. If you don't want to invest in a decent tripod system you will be forever shooting crappy video. It is that simple.

GPS

Really? Ok then. THank you for letting me know.
I'm not in a position to buy another one at this time but it's good to know the problem. I just assumed it was me. Didn't even think the tripod might be causing it. I'll start the planning for being able to buy one going forward.

Last edited:

Douglas

Find a showroom or someone in your area who has an FSB-6 or similar tripod and go test drive it. You will be shocked at what a difference it makes.

GPS

Ok thanks for your advice everyone. Looks like I will need to purchase some new equipment. In the meanwhile I will work today on getting those movements as smooth as possible.
Have an awesome new year.

Douglas

I've never used an NX5U, but I can tell you that the zooming capabilities of all the small Sony camcorders (EX1, EX3, 200, 160, etc) leaves a lot to be desired. Once again, cheap pricing excludes decent performance and it just has to be accepted as a fact of life. Smooth zooming is one of the reasons broadcast lenses from Fujinon and Canon cost thousands of dollars. Maybe your camera has an additional problem as well, but no matter what, you shouldn't expect good performance that is on par with what you see on broadcast television.

You might want to try changing the zoom speed from variable to fixed with a low number such as 1 or 2 and see if that helps it.

cyndygreen1

I agree with the comments above...practice, practice, practice. Know your gear as well as you know your fingers and legs...or better. If you know there is a "glitch" in the zoom...that it sticks and you can't afford a new camera or tripod, you have to work around it...find a workaround. Don't zoom thru the bad section or if you must and the glitch is noticable just be prepared to edit over it...or something...anything. Or better yet. Don't plan to use any of your zooms...just use the zoom to get from here to there.

cameragod

Just a thought, do you have the steady shot or even action steady shot enabled? I find these can cause a lag when you pan or zoom which can make it hard to come to a smooth stop where you want it. You might want to try turning that sh!t off.

svp

some slight jerking when coming off a locked shot, as well as some slight camera downward drift when being distracted by something happening in the back. And when holding a shot for a long time (not locked down because I intended to zoom at some point) there was a downward drift over time. Barely perceptible as it was happening, but definitely there.
First, get a better tripod. I have the NX5U and using it on the Miller Compas 25 Solo I have no issues. Also, make sure the image stabilization is turned off. The camera has two AIS settings and both will cause the image to drift when on a tripod during pans and tilts.