Sports Feature

bshot44

Did a sports feature on Murray State basketball team. They won 27 games in regular season, but won't go to NCAA Tournament unless they win post-season conference tournament. So all their work....out the window unless they win three games this week.

I've got a lot positive feedback so far and some people have tossed out the "Emmy" word. I'm pumping the breaks on that.

But I wanted some feedback from some impartial viewers. So please, be honest, be blunt....I want to know what everyone thinks.

Fire away!

http://www.b-roll.net/tv/view_video.php?viewkey=404b2fe98ba6f32301e3

Latin Lens

I think most know who post here and look for a critique know I am very active in this arena...this is clearly just my opinion and from my perspective (as a viewer and photojournalist) on what I like and dislike about a particular story.

So I read what you wrote had a certain level of expectation.....once it loaded I saw an interesting take..but by 30 secs in I was bored. You clearly have an imaginative mind which helps in your photography but I feel the repeating theme was way overdone...too repeatative....and didn't really offer anything besides a "Look at what I can do" can of thing. The coach interview effect that was cool....but because we have seen the effect already it didn't stand out more....the intro and outro were "scripted" and it didn't fit the format more a local news broadcast unless it was more in-depth...or if it was for a special broadcast....or like a ESPN type thing. All the players intverview were in the same location....change it up...you appartently had the run of the place and time...use that to your advantage. You have very good shot...nat....composition gathering skills...but all that didn't really come through on this piece. It was cool and different....but a little overdone...sometimes the "less is more" is hard to comprehend when you want to showcase a particular effect but again with a well planned out attack on a story the less you use an effect will have more of an impact because you don't see it as much...and you anticipate when you'll see it again....and this could have been helped by a little bit better "story" structure....so each player you had holding the frame had the effect to highlight an element relevant to the story line. Great approach...nice ideas...I know I have taken something worthwhile to use in my arsenal should the oppurtunity ever approach. I give it an "A" overall...its good but would have liked to have seen more and better.