Sony PMW 300 Battery Problems

amp

Has anyone else ran into this? We bought one new Sony PMW-300 to replace a severely damaged EX-3. We have many different battery manufacturers to power the camera: Ikan, Swit, Sony and Frezzi. I love the Frezzi batteries because it's a good product at a great price AND it has a Power Tap to power lights and Teradek transmitters. However, when you put any NON-Sony battery on a PWM-300, you get a "High Voltage" warning and it shuts down. WTF Sony! Sony does sell a larger camera battery with a power input BUT it is a 4-pin input, not the Power Tap used for years by most photogs.

Does anyone have a work around? Is there a 4-pin to Power Tap adapter cable out there? I love our new Frezzi LED top lights but they have Power Tap plugs. Sony seems to have a software block to force you to buy Sony batteries.

Capt. Slo-mo

On another board, one guy has had luck with the DM Accessories V-lock power plate, which has voltage regulation, and a D-tap in the plate. There were some SWIT batteries I read earlier about that were designed to directly work with the 300, but I seem to remember some complaints about short battery life with the initial batch---like going dead in 9 months.

It seems like the biggest deal is finding a way to send regulated 12V power to the camera.

Necktie Boy

Just as Bill mentioned, it a common known problem. The camera wants to see 12 volts only. I believe that is the problem. There one dude that sells aftermarket batteries that do work. His name slips me. Check the other boards, and his name will pop up.

The Swit battery is still being tested, according to one board.