Sony DVW 700WS Digital/SP Betacam

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdelarm

Anyone here using/owning the Sony DVW 700WS Digital/SP Betacam Camcorder?

Or...are you running with the D600 over the 700?

Comments?

Likes/dis-likes?

Any clients asking for this model?

:D

dinosaur

If a client requests a Digital Betacam I would usually rent a DVW790(ws) The DVW700WS is an older model. My only beef about the Digital Betacams is that are they are heavy and power hungry. I get maybe 4 or 5 jobs a year that would require this camera, otherwise its D600 or 400a.

I'm using the Varicam HD27F today on a shoot.
A really nice camera to work with, awesome viewfinder. Feels more like a Betacam than a HDCam does. The menu is easier to use. 24P looks great.

Baltimore Shooter

Still using my trusty 600. Rarely get a call for DigiBeta. People love the look of the 600 and they know the value of good video.
Warren

FOCUZ

We have two 790's and we have luckily already paid them off.

I think we will continue to get Digi request for a couple more years, but there is no way it will be the cash cow that SP is/was.

tdelarm

Thanks guys...your feedback helps.

Would you say the 600 is a safe bet for a few more years then?

joecam147

The 700 is a great camera but is a bit old, the 790 and even the 709 are better cameras. Unless you have a really good client who wants that (DigiBeta) I would never consider buying one over analog Beta. Stick with Beta. DigiBeta is too specialized in the US. A bigger seller in Europe.

Ken

Joe's right. Also if you go with a D600, make sure it's the 16X9 switchable as it will have a longer life as more and more production is turning to 16X9. I find that I do a good portion of work on my 600 in WideScreen (and love it). I've really had very few calls for DigiBeta but have more and more inqueries about the Varicam and have used it on a few jobs. I like it very much. It's easy to use and looks great. The 600 looks excellent in 16X9 (because you're using all of the chip). I'm currently working on a doc we're taping in 16X9 on betaSP for a national PBS show. Initially there was some concern on the producers part about it not being DigiBeta. That concern passed very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.