Shooting with MINI DV

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckcam

Hey Ivan, I do mean stringers as freelance - because we're on topic for Seagate getting his foot in the door. I don't think getting an SX camera now would be a wise decision, especially with P2 and XDCAM.

SN, what about looking at leasing a camera? I don't know how it works especially with consumer gear, but with rental/lease agreements, at least (in Canada) you can write off the entire amount instead of amortizing it over several years... and I can see you outgrow your first camera fairly quickly.

I

imported_blank

Hey Phil,
Once again,
The ONLY REASON I mentioned the DNW-7 is because of you writing that a handycam would beat most shoulder cameras in low light performance. I just wanted to clear things up by saying that a NINE YEAR OLD DNW-7 SX will blow away the PD150 in low light.

As to your comment """"I have yet to see any freelancer shoot on SX""" well I took that just as it sounds. I simply pointed out that in "Canada" there are tons of "freelancers using SX"
Once again, I did NOT suggest that Seagate get an SX --- I suggested that he look into the AG-DVC60. Phil, as to established television freelancers in Canada, I think it would be "WISE" to poll their cliental, I know a few producers that accept XD, I know one producer that accepts P2, I know 70 percent plus of the producers (I know) accept SX and I know 95 percent of (producers I know) accept SP - so I think it would be "wise" to poll one's cliental.

Terry,
I suggest that anyone looking into a $2,000 camera check out all units available, including the GL2 and the AG-DVC60. I personally prefer a Panasonic over a Canon. (within the same class of course) In my eyes (personal preference) Panasonics cams put out a better picture, including in LOW LIGHT. The AG-DVC60 has the same 12-Bit A/D and RGB Gamma Processor as the DVX100a. But my preference is swayed by the fact that you can put the Pany on your shoulder.

Rich, the AG-DVC60 has a X16 zoom lens (16X, 4.1 to 65.6mm) However I agree that the GL2 lens is probably better - no surprise as Canon is in the lens manufacturing biz.

SeagateNews

Gosh, I don't even know...

This whole camera thing is driving me nuts. Before, my age was holding me back, and now I've busted through that barrier and built a name for myself. Now, I'm short two CCDs and a couple thousand dollars and it's possibly going to hold me back from a regular freelancing gig.

I'd like to eBay my SVHS, two old VHSs for cheap, and a couple TVs for some extra dough, but I haven't found anyone to do it for me yet...I really don't want to pull anything illegal age-wise on eBay, especially when I don't know the half of shipping stuff like that...maybe pawn shop.

I'm contacting all of the local video places for deals, and now I'll start asking about leases and rentals, just in case that is the deciding factor at the station.

::sigh:: Oh well, I'm stressing too much over this...and the fact that my friend keeps bringing in his mom's sony vx2000 to school isn't helping either...I think i'll just steal it and save myself the trouble.

RichVid

Ahhhhhhh the trials and tribulations of youthful exuberance! What I wouldn't give to be in Mr SN's shoes right now with those problems ahead of me... :D

Son, Don't sweat it... Everything will be fine...you just got some great new wheels and, as you've already said, you've established yourself... Let's look at some things...

What kind of competition are you up against?
Any stringers out there shooting with DSR-390s or AG-400's? It doesn't sound like it!

You've shown that you can shoot... You've posted footage on the web that doesn't look 1/2 bad - even at night! If anything, spend 40 bucks at B and H and buy yourself a 100 wt sungun...spend another 40 through ebay and get a 12 volt, 7 Amp battery with an over the shoulder cordura holder that'll power said light for about 45 minutes per charge...You'll do great!

In the meantime, you'll be saving for and looking for ways to get that elusive 3CCD camera... And don't let us all confuse you too much... The models you're looking at will all suffice for what you want to do...no one cam is 10,000 X better than another...

Like you said, you're stressing too much...

Hey...you're still a kid! Have fun! (And I say that in a jealous way) - You're WAYYYYYYYY ahead of the game...so what if you're not a millionaire and can't get the cam you want now...trust me, in the long run, you're going to learn that much more along the way to getting it!

SeagateNews

bad day + worrying = freaked out post on b-roll.

Thanks for the reassurance, RichVid. Yeah, trust me, I still take time out of my interning, freelancing, and real working to be a kid...I'm not going to give that up (although in the future I'll still look back no matter what and say I wish I would have spent more time just being a kid lol)...

i'll follow yout advice and be patient, but i'm still considering stealing the sony... :D

I like how this post totally changed direction lol...

[ February 01, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Seagate News ]

Terry E. Toller

Ivan, there are times when shooting from the shoulder is more stable and comfortable. However, the steady shot or whatever Canon calls it is amazing! I have gotten used to holding the camera in front of me. Don't get me wrong. It feels good to use the DVC Pro and even the DV 500 when a client wants it. But you can get used to the smaller cameras. In fact, there are times when they actually work better. I love the GL1 with a .5 or even .3 lens for ride alongs. They are small and don't get in the way of the shotgun and other equipment. Plus the cop can see out his right side window...

I'll have to agree with Terry on the occasional size advantages of the smaller cameras. A couple years ago I shot from the seat of a Volkswagen dune buggy with a full size betacam. Since we were going off road, I took a pretty good beating and the camera barely cleared the roll bar. I still think I might invest in something little for occasions like that. For the normal spot news stringer grind, I've been seriously looking at the JVC stuff. I have my eye on a GV-500 right now, which would give me something with better low light sensitivity than my big old analog stuff, and also make the format translation easier for the station I shoot for the most (they use DVC Pro, so the Mini DV can be loaded in one of their decks with the adapter, instead of requiring a dub like my Beta SP). I've found that I like to have several formats available to handle the varied demands of my clients.

Hey Segate News, by the way awesom website. I am going to get some business cards made up with my contact information on them, and I was thinking about putting "Freelance Photographer" on it as well, so I can look as professional as I can. Hows your car? I have had my GL2 since June of 04 and It's still running strong.

I just wish I would get some better spot news in my area sometime this decade :). I have yet to encounter a major fire or accident. But It will happen one of these days I'm sure, atlest your getting some footage.

I have used my GL2 at night and it does a pretty decent job for its size, hey I paid around 2,500 for it so it autta be a good camera!

Well good luck talk to you soon bro!

SeagateNews

Thanks Gallifk for the website comments...be patient when it comes to the good stuff, and remember not to wish too much that something really bad happens...out of the few things I've shot, already one was an accident that involved a friend of mine. Kinda puts things in perspective a little...

I

imported_blank

Terry,
There are times when a small hand held camera will fit in better then a betacam type camera. I think that's why many camera kits now-a-days include a small "supplement" cameras like a PD150. However in (my experience) a shoulder camera will be the better choice in about 95 percent of situations. I am under the impression that folks like Seagate are looking for a "PRIMARY" camera and that's where I base my choice for a shoulder type cam.

I see that even Betajunkie stated this.
For the normal spot news stringer grind, I've been seriously looking at the JVC stuff. I have my eye on a GV-500 right now
BJ went on stating that a small handycam size advantage is better for the "occasional" time.

Back to the DVC60, did you see the size of it? It's tiny, not much bigger than a PD150 and I bet it will fit almost anywhere. Were it won't fit you probably will need a lipstick cam, not a handycam.

The DVC60 weighs about five pounds loaded without top light so weight ain't a problem.

Hey Terry, each to his own == I'm just stating "MY" case why I would suggest a shoulder cam for PRIMARY use.

RichVid

While on this topic, has anyone used or had any experience with this one ( Panasonic AG-DVC80 )? Seagate has expressed interest in it and I've been a bit curious myself... There's one on ebay that's somewhat local to me at what seems to be a good price (almost over)...People are saying they shut production down because the cam is too similar to the DVX100 series - minus the 24p feature...This looks to have more manual features than any other handycam, true zoom/focus rings, and XLR inputs... CCDs are the same (1/3") as the Sony VX/PD series...Is sensitiviy here as good as the Sonys?

Rich

Alaska cameradude

The Gov's office here in Alaska uses the Panny AG-DVC-80 to produce the Gov's weekly news show "Our Alaska." It's a good cam for the price...roughly comparable to the PD-150 but not quite as good in low light. But the Panny has a smoother manual iris than the PD-150...ie no "stepping". It has manual controls for everything so if you are coming from a news photog background that's a good thing.

Hey Just my oppinion I like my GL2 and I think the GL2 is a Great camera but they only reason why I would like to get rid of it is because of the lack of Manual Zoom and XLR Inputs, I know I could buy a beachtek but Ide rather have it built into the camera and have a on camera microphone mount sorda like the Panasonic DVX100A and the Sony PD170, how the microphones are on the side, that way I can use a shotgun mic and the shoe mount would be free so I could use a Light. The GL2, if I wanted to use a shotgun I could not use a light at the same time, b/c I only have 1 houtsoe and the GL@ oes not have a mic holder like the PD170 and DVX100A.

I was thinking about getting rid of my 7 month Old GL2 and getting one of those used, should I do it?? I would like your oppinions, because that way I can use professional eng microphones.

[ February 04, 2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Gallifk111 ]

canuckcam

The Pannys still have a motorized focus, as in the ring spins indefiniately. However, you do get a reference in your viewfinder as to your focus number.. from 1-99. Not distance.

Yeah, Ivan, if what you're saying is that a near-decade old SX would beat a PD-150, then yup, I'd say you're right!

I wouldn't get a DV500 personally (now.) They're several years old and the parts are beginning to show wear. Umm.. Unless you want MY DV500.. :)

John M.

Originally posted by Gallifk111:

I was thinking about getting rid of my 7 month Old GL2 and getting one of those used, should I do it??
I own a GL2 and bought a microphone adapter from B&H. It has 2 XLR inputs and it has a holder for a shotgun. There's also another shoe (though not a hotshoe) on top of it for my camera light.

In hindsight I would have gone with a PD150 or 170 but the adapter for the GL2 (at around $165) was still a much cheaper way to get XLR inputs than buying a new camera.

Terry E. Toller

Just remember, from the XLR adapter to the camera is NOT a balanced input. It's just an adapter...

Ivan, it seems to me that if you are going to have the mini DV cam as a supplimantal camera, the handheld would be the way to go.

Why go from betacam to mini DV and still have a larger, shoulder mounted camera? You would be surprised where I have put my GL1 (be nice). And with the .3 lens, I can even get good shots of a pilot from the front seat of a cessna 172! I can't do that with a betacam and even with a DVC10-60 it would be more difficult...

Canon has what I think is the best imabe stabalizer. The others try to move the image to the left when you pan to the right. You can actaully see it. The canon doesn't. And, it gives amazingly stable images when handheld.

The only drawback is the controls. They take some getting used to! Hard to find while shooting...

[ February 05, 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Terry E. Toller ]

Status
Not open for further replies.