Shooting Conglomerate

Latin Lens

House Art Story: I think this one had some great potential but I think the lack of a vision from the outset is what really didn't help you guys out in the field. You shot the usual...what about 99% of photogs might do...but I know you to be a little more creative that this and I really want you to understand the oppurtunities you have so you can bring out the best in each one. First, you are talking about art and yes we see some art on the wall, yada, yada, yada...but you need to get the better b-roll of an artist in action...capture the sequence of the artist in action and perhaps conduct the interview like that...you got the guitar player...maybe he's playing at the same time the artist is painting and you can play off that...thus driving the point of the story...artists coming together and sharing space. Try and work outside in...that gives you setup...plus adding the obvious polarizing sides you need that make this house/neighborhood/studio unique. There's a couple of glaring "errors" in your shooting on this one...the windows behind the guitar guy...all you had to do was turn him around and use the natural light as your light source. For two part editing standups to work you need to let the reporter walk completely out of frame or you have to start tight on the second part to pull wide, whatever. Its a distracting jumpcut to go to seeing his back...to then seeing the front in the manner you edited it. You need to get involved by offering interview questions that you know you can use in the edit bay or get them on your own as they are doing something...Ask the art chick "Do you like hearing Rick play the guitar?"..."What are you thinking about when he's strumming and getting ready to play?"...those type questions help as natsot transitions help add the personality to the piece...ask the guitar guy what he thinks of Mary's art?. Get it all from different people because those are the natsots that will suprise you and get you sot gold that helps you to stand out. Its a team effort which is why you both need to communicate and formulate a strategy to get the best story from every situation. Work in progress but keep trying.

Latin Lens

Cooper Band: Sorry Andrew...another short-sighted natpkg. I say that because again I see the potential. For this to have had the best impact all around...you obviously needed to focus on the band the entire game...pregame...during game...after game...that way you can get a mic on band members and get the best natsot sound and interesting interview angles. Without that vision you'll most likely end up with a hastily sloppy natpkg. With that said...lets critique what you did get. The food nats did nothing to draw me in...you probably could have used them in a better context had you intercut game and nats...crowd and nats...food and nats to help better setup that you're at a high school football game. Remember you have to pick a starting point...the best point would have been the band taking the field at halftime...maybe the announcement of the band taking the field by the press box...however/whatever but pick a good starting point. The reason this looks "sloppy" is because you're interviews are so jarring from the actual b-roll thus making it more obvious that its hastily put together. Getting interviews while in context is probably the most crucial in a story like this. I think you're still being cautious and not trusting yourself. Get one step ahead of the action...be in position to get the proper video/sound that gives better sequences. It's a tough task to take on in the manner that you did but its not a good plan of attack. I always feel that subjects deserve better than what the news business gives them sometimes...but a case could have been made for this to have been really cool. I would probably die to get my hands on something like this...it has huge potential to be an awesome story had proper attention been payed to it...but that's not your fault I assume. You just need to start giving into the art...make mistakes while making your art to learn for the future. You've seen my early stuff and all the mistakes I made...but you got to at some point give in and don't look back and trust your eye and skills and go for it. Not matter the outcome...go for it. You'll end up a better photog on the otherside regardless of the outcome. You'll feel different...you'll envision different...you'll be a little more confident. I'll take you to edge and tell you to jump...but I won't push you...you gotta want it if you want to be like the great photogs that you admire. Like Nike said...."Just do it".