San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

<just looking>

I am curious about the Bay Area and San Francisco especially. I know there are many stations, but I do not see many jobs listed for the area. Also, has any one heard anything about TechTV, I have heard their studio is in San Francisco, do they have staff photogs or do they use freelance. Thanks in advance.

F

<foghead>

Originally posted by <just looking>:
I am curious about the Bay Area and San Francisco especially. I know there are many stations, but I do not see many jobs listed for the area. Also, has any one heard anything about TechTV, I have heard their studio is in San Francisco, do they have staff photogs or do they use freelance. Thanks in advance.
Techtv doesn't use photogs. They use other production companys. They have consolidated to one floor in the building they are in. It appears they are trying to give one more go around but, sad to say, the future doesn't look promising. They have been canceling shows too. As for the other stations. there are no openings and none of the stations are adding on freelancers. In fact, they the stations have cut back on freelancers. I would advise not making San Francisco your destination and L.A. is even worse.

J

<just looking>

if a TV station doesn't look promising, what about production house, any good ones based in San Fran, I love the city and would love to move there, but dont know much about the jobs available or other companies. Thanks

F

<FOGHead>

Originally posted by <just looking>:
if a TV station doesn't look promising, what about production house, any good ones based in San Fran, I love the city and would love to move there, but dont know much about the jobs available or other companies. Thanks
Dude! READ! There is nothing out here! Everyone is hurting bad! Even the production houses. The market is heavy with freelancers looking for work. Loving this beautiful and most expensive city in the U.S. is one thing, but, if you are not from here, that is a stike against you. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You must know the area to work here. There is alot more than reading a Thomas Guide. I am doing you a favor by leaving you these messages.

J

<justl looking>

[/QUOTE]Dude! READ! There is nothing out here! Everyone is hurting bad! Even the production houses. The market is heavy with freelancers looking for work. Loving this beautiful and most expensive city in the U.S. is one thing, but, if you are not from here, that is a stike against you. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You must know the area to work here. There is alot more than reading a Thomas Guide. I am doing you a favor by leaving you these messages.[/QB][/QUOTE]

First of all, I am reading your posts and just continuing to ask questions, isnt that the point of a board like this. Yes I do love the city, thats because I was born there, I know the city, just not the job market because I moved away for a job in Seattle

adam

There are TV jobs out here, not necessarily full time, but from time to time weekend morning shift jobs or the like pop up, just check local station web sites. There are sometimes other openings at stations (i.e. editors, studio) in similarly terrible shift times. That said, the economy is ridiculously bad here, but no one ever realized a dream by sleeping.

D

<dream weaver>

Hey Adam, once apon a time, didn't you have a dream of going home to Seattle?

M

<Moolah>

I nearly got a job at the CNN Bureau about 1 1/2 ago, but was reluctant do to the cost of living and economy. Man, I would have had to live in a cardboard box to survive in that place, how does anyony afford to live out their.

C

<CameraGuy>

It's easy I don't live in the city. It's not hard to find an inexpensive place outside of the city. I'm saving a ton of money. A lot of people live out side of the city.

adam

If you're coming from Seattle chances are you'll be able to deal with the fog plagued sections of the city, and you'll find that once you look at rentals in the fog belt prices really drop.

ps. never dreamed of living in Seattle but I wouldn't mind giving Vancouver a turn, maybe Ivan can hook me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.