Salt Lake City Info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

<Just Lookin'>

Just curious about the market. Especially KSL and KTVX. Thank you.

B

<BigVoiceJack>

Stay away from KTVX. They have so much turmoil going on with their station right now that I do not think it is a healthy place to be working.

KSL is pretty good. I don't think the shooting is the best.

KUTV is a great station. Lotta toys, good shooting, good product.

KSTU is also a good station. Good people, good enviroment... I don't know about ethically, but the fact that there is one show, and 9:00pm would make me what to work there.... Plus, they have about 2 or 3 photog openings right now, so if you have a tape without a blue shot on it, you'll likely get a call...

Grangeway

Salt Lake City is a great city. You can't get lost driving around even if try. Just remember that KSL is owned by Bonneville, which I believe is affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saints. You know... Mormons. The last time I checked Brink Chipman was still news director. I've worked for him twice and I'd do it again. Except I don't want to live in any city where I need to own a lawn mower and a snow shovel. As for KSTU, I don't know about the news operation but you can't do better for an assistant news director in John Thompson. He used to be the chief photographer at KVOA in Tucson. He's the greatest. Good luck.

F

<FrezziB>

I worked in Salt Lake at KUTV for a couple of years. It's a great market for spot news (believe it or not). I learned more about live tv than ever in my career. I would say if you are considering a job there to stick with KUTV, or with the FOX there. They are are both O&Os. KTVX has ****ty equipment, but they have good people working for them. The CBS has great equipment, and lots of live trucks. Good people there also.

One more thing... it takes an open mind to live in Salt Lake City. It is among the most conservative cities in America. In many places the communities are 90% mormon, and will know that you aren't (if you're not mormon). If you think you can hack that... you should check it out!

S

<shootfirst>

Actually... Salt Lake City itself is not conservative. Rocky (our mayor) is the most progressive leader I've had the pleasure of knowing. The rest of the state, however, is full blown ultra-republican.

P

<photoge>

I have not worked in Salt Lake, but I have heard that KSL takes 10% of your paycheck for the Mormon church--whether you are mormon or not. I heard this from somebody who used to work there. Any body currently working there know if this is true?

good luck!

T

<tryit>

Give KTVX a try....I have worked for that news director (he's new to that station). He's good people.

Never limit your options....

H

<Have another drink>

ND at KTVX is nothing more than corporate monkey for Clear Channel who cares nothing for the people just the numbers. As for working there it's like a roller coaster with no climbs. On the other hand some great people work there and Salt Lake is great place to live with lots to do.

T

<TrippingBilly>

Originally posted by <photoge>:
I have not worked in Salt Lake, but I have heard that KSL takes 10% of your paycheck for the Mormon church--whether you are mormon or not. I heard this from somebody who used to work there. Any body currently working there know if this is true?

good luck!
That's pretty good. I think if that were true, KSL would no longer be in buisness. Anyway, I have not worked at KSL, but I have known some folks that have. They say, of all the stations in SLC, KSL has the most non-Mormon staff. I found that quite interesting...

Y

<You have no idea>

ND at KTVX is nothing more than corporate monkey for Clear Channel who cares nothing for the people just the numbers. As for working there it's like a roller coaster with no climbs. On the other hand some great people work there and Salt Lake is great place to live with lots to do

And how are you basing this information? Do you actually know this person? Know his background? How about the new Chief Engineer? Were you aware that they came out as a team, oh yea, how about the GM of the station they came out of before going to KTVX? Did you know he was involved with this too?

Face it moron, this is a solid team of winners, for both staff, and station.

You have no idea what you are talking about, and you probably work for one of those other stations in Salt Lake. Why are you so pissed off? They wouldnt hire you? Good for them, they probably saw through your BS, and woundn't dare touch you.

Go back to community cable, and start over.

:D

C

<Curious>

Can you anyone tell me a bit more about KSTU? Style, gear, amount of learning vs run and gun? Pay?

J

<Jack>

KSTU has Todd Hogarrd (sp) working at their station. Best editor I have ever seen, and a founder of the NPPA editing workshops. He is a wealth of knowledge.

They aren't really run and gun, as they are a Fox station (one show) and in SLC (kinda slow where breaking news is concerned). Shoot on SX, pretty crappy live trucks, a really old SNG. I think it would be a good place to work as a shooter though. I used to work there as an editor and back in master, and I loved it.

I

<interesting thoughts>

The city of Salt Lake itself is roughly 50% mormon, it's the out lying communities (and yes some are polygamist) that are more core. The church looks like a giant wedding cake and teams of two people knock on your door now and then to tell you about the LDS Church. You will have to learn what CTR means and what precepts are. For the most part it's a normal town. It even has a healthy gay population. So conservative yes progressive yes, and sometimes at the same time. As for getting lost in Salt Lake, every time I go there. It is relatively easy to find your self again. Great skiing, but you car rusts out faster than most any other place. (High salt content in the lake effect humidity will do that, but that is why they call it the Great Salt Lake.)
I would say KSL is where most people shoot for when they go to that market but find the other stations are alright too. You'll be working with good people.

D

<doublestack45>

Originally posted by <BigVoiceJack>:
KUTV is a great station....good shooting, good product.
Not judging from the video I saw from them a few weeks ago.

It's one of the only times I've ever felt like calling a station to bitch about the quality of the footage they sent us.

Crap.

J

<Jack>

Originally posted by <doublestack45>:
quote: Originally posted by <BigVoiceJack>:
KUTV is a great station....good shooting, good product.
Not judging from the video I saw from them a few weeks ago.

It's one of the only times I've ever felt like calling a station to bitch about the quality of the footage they sent us.

Crap.
I don't doubt you got bad video. Get airchecks from all four stations during Liz Smart, you'll see that KUTV was the best of the four, and better than the networks.

S

<Skyburner>

I can vouch for the ND and the CE at KTVX....I worked with both of them in another market. It would be tough to find better people to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.