Requiem for a Classic

Nino

Started in 1999 with the successful series of Sport Century shows as well as other original programs, ESPN Classic has been the Roll Royce of television programming. I’m proud to have been part of the success and a contributor to the development of an interview style that have set a high standard in our industry. During these years I had the privilege of meeting scores of fascinating personalities that have made and are sport history. In the last three years the standard got even higher with a number of shows being produced in 1080 High Definition. Understandably, although I've seen the writing on the wall, I was saddened to learn that ESPN Classic in the format that made it a true Classic is gone, all we’ll be seeing from now on will be archival sport events. The very talented and dedicated staff is being reassigned to other duties within ESPN. Evidently this is part of a new cost saving programs that has been taking place at the network for the last several months, affecting of course many of the loyal and dedicated freelancers, myself included, that have made ESPN one of the best networks ever; most assignment are being performed by staff shooters and carried-out like a OMB news assignment. The change in quality is already evident. Fortunately for me this couldn’t come at a better time as I was planning to start slowing down and didn’t know how to tell this to ESPN. Let’s just hope that this is a temporary adjustment.

Baltimore Shooter

Damn, that really sucks. Is the staff shooter/OMB issue across the board, throughout all ESPN's channels or just Classic?

Warren

Nino

Warren, I’m sure that the decision will be based as per assignment. So far the two main events (that I know) that they have been replacing most freelancers with staff shooters has been Superbowl and Spring Training, these were two major freelance “bread n’ butter” shoots and there were no warnings. As it has happened for the last ten years I was put on hold for all these events but this year they were never confirmed. The assignment editors that I’ve known for years have been most apologetic but this is beyond their control. Usually during these busy events I also get many calls from other sources regarding my availability and this year I was available.

Personally I think that financially it makes sense to use staff if available so I can’t blame ESPN for being more cost effective. They still call but only when the job is “more equipment and/or knowledge dependent”. I know all the staff shooters and they are a bunch of talented guys but they handle their assignment like news photographer and travel with a bare minimum package, unlike freelancers who use more of a documentary style shooting and have much more equipment available. Also we’ve been spoiling talents and producers by giving the best quality and service humanly possible something that will be missing when working with a co-worker. I was told my unnamed sources that this is a temporary arrangement but I’m not banking on it. Many producers fear that these shooters who know what ESPN needs are, will not wait around for things to go back to normal and they’ll find other client to be loyal to, and when ESPN will call back these guys will no longer be available. Loyalty is a rare virtue but it must be two sided to be effective.

dhart

Sorry to hear about the end of a great gig. But something else always seems to turn up in this business.

CrewU

Nino is totally right about the changes about ESPN and it is the whole of the company that has been effected. I do a few shoots for them in Chicago and I was a former CNNer. A bunch of former CNNers went to ESPN when CNNSI closed shop. Those people now are worried about thier positions.

Seems that the budget has been finally roped in by Disney. ESPN sees that they need to pay the premium for the events they cover because it seems that every sports entity wants there own channel and to own their own content. This will be trouble for ESPNs future when MLB,NHL,Big Ten etc all decide to take all their games "in house" and make all the revenue.

As a former producer for CNN and a current ESPN producer told me ESPN had a meeting late last year for all production people telling them that full blown feature pieces for Sportscenter would be sparing because, in the words of the executive producer of the show, Sportscenter is just a "Highlight" show.

Change is coming to all avenues of the television business I just hope that the quality is not going out of this business because of corporate greed.

joecam147

...and the beat goes on. Sorry Nino and any other ESPN regulars but you know no matter how comfortable you get or how sweet the gig is everthing eventually goes away so keep hustlin'.

Icarus112277

Among with taking all of their shows out of NYC this signals bad things.
I worked on some of the Classic content coming out of the city and had a good time and made a few bucks too. Less production is always bad. This and the MTV hit are really bad timing together.

Icarus112277

The MTV hit? Care to explain?

Warren

They're cutting big time. They just invested money in their control room so it may be just temporary.
Sucks tho ESPN and MTV made up a substantial chunk of my income last year- tho, luckily for me only about 5% so far this year.

Last edited:

Nino

Joe, promise that I will not move back to CT, I was there for a one week shoot the first week that the temperature got down to single digit and no thanks.

When I look back at my 37 years career I made some major lateral changes every seven years, wasn’t planned that way it just happened, this last move lasted ten years so the change was long overdue. These changes and having to periodically re-invent myself is what kept my interest in this business on a high level.

BTW, as Icarus mentioned, in another cost cutting measure Cold Pizza is moving from NYC to Bristol, that’s a cultural shock. I guess they could use some good NY pizza in Bristol.

Icarus112277

BTW, as Icarus mentioned, in another cost cutting measure Cold Pizza is moving from NYC to Bristol, that’s a cultural shock. I guess they could use some good NY pizza in Bristol.

And with the end of Quite Frankly and the non-renewal of Cheap Seats a while back they have nothing left here. They were doing Stump the Schwab down here, wonder if that will be a go again?

Baltimore Shooter

BTW, as Icarus mentioned, in another cost cutting measure Cold Pizza is moving from NYC to Bristol, that’s a cultural shock.
Well, I can only imagine what it would cost to rent a studio in NYC so it only makes sense to move it to Bristol - cheaper rent (they own the bld so rent goes to $0), parking and all the other costs associated w/ being in NYC are eliminated, while the quality remains the same (maybe even improves). Like I said, makes good business sense.

Warren

Run&Gun

Nino, are you saying that Classic is not producing anymore original programming? Like you, I'm on the top of their call list where I am, and no one has said anything to me lately. Obviously, things slowed down for us, Classic wise, when Sports Century was cancelled, but there have still been shoots here and there for them. I did about three or four in November and December. I'm gonna email Sue and see what's going on.

But, over the last 6 or 8 months, "Budget" has become the buzz word around Bristol, even with the NFL...

Nino

Chris I just got off the phone with Sue, and yes, it’s real. Original programs will still be produced but now will be integrated with the regular ESPN programs. All staff is being reassigned and fortunately everyone still has a job. I just got booked for two days to finish some programs that were already started. The Classic look is an unwritten trademark associated to ESPN and that look will be carried on future programming so you and I are not entirely out of the picture yet.

As far as the NY operation goes there’s still the ESPN Zone in Times Square and I imagine that they will take full advantage of those facilities as a NY presence. I doubt that there are very many sport personalities living in Bristol or too many others that will be willing to travel there for an interview.

Icarus112277

Well, I can only imagine what it would cost to rent a studio in NYC so it only makes sense to move it to Bristol - cheaper rent (they own the bld so rent goes to $0), parking and all the other costs associated w/ being in NYC are eliminated, while the quality remains the same (maybe even improves). Like I said, makes good business sense.

Warren
Its a good question. I saw the writing on the wall when the show moved to predominantly being sat hits.

However, like Nino said
"I doubt that there are very many sport personalities living in Bristol or too many others that will be willing to travel there for an interview."

Thats why they came here in the first place. Much much easier to book guests. I haven't been (and won't be going) to the ESPN Zone but I don't think they have any real facilities to speak of everytim I took in shots from there the equipment was outsourced.

Baltimore Shooter

Thats why they came here in the first place. Much much easier to book guests. I haven't been (and won't be going) to the ESPN Zone but I don't think they have any real facilities to speak of everytim I took in shots from there the equipment was outsourced.
I don't know about NYC, but the ESPN Zone in Baltimore has uplink facilities to feed to Bristol. I've done several live shots from there. No studio required, just a crew when they need one.

Warren

Icarus112277

I don't know about NYC, but the ESPN Zone in Baltimore has uplink facilities to feed to Bristol. I've done several live shots from there. No studio required, just a crew when they need one.

Warren
I'm not certain- all the stuff I've done with them was off a truck.
If they have anything its just enough to get one camera and PL/IFB, which isn't much.
If they do anything out of the city they'll be renting space.

For instance when the WWF/WWE had their restaurant in Times Square they had real gear...and di real shows out of the space. I know for certain the one doesn't have anywhere near the capabiliy that place had.