Recomendations for HPX250 kit...

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
We're looking to set up a kit around a Panasonic AG-HPX250 camera. What would your recommend to go with it?

Tripod, wireless, light, batteries, etc?

Thanks for your advice...

kev

Tv Shooter

Miller Solo Dv 20 tripod. I have one....:), it's great. Very quick to use, lightweight, but very sturdy. In a pinch I used it with a HDX900 once. Held it fine.

Lectro 401 wireless, either a Lightpanel Sola eng, a Zylight, or check out the Switronix Torch LED.

FeedingFrenzy

I have THIS. Rather than remember to take the correct tripod for the smaller camera, I can use my regular sticks and switch to the larger camera when necessary. Same plate for all cameras make it a lot simpler.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
So with that plate... a camera like a 250 can fit on a standard tripod plate?

That's kinda cool...

kev

FeedingFrenzy

Exactly. I know our usual tripods may be overkill for those cameras, but now you don't have to buy smaller sticks that may not take the news punishment that might be delivered on a daily basis. Plus we're already familiar with the simple click lock plate. There are others on the market as well.

2 Hungry Dogs

Frenzy's idea of one tripod for all is nice, but I've never brought the wrong tripod. And the considerable weight difference with my small sachler makes it really nice.

You will probably want a wireless holder with an L bracket that mounts between the camera and tripod plate. And a small LED on camera light with on board battery if you don't want cables hanging off the camera for handheld work. With these the camera is now a self contained unit.

I have a varizoom remote that I love if you are doing a lot of tripod work.

I use the wide angle a lot with my 170, but I know the 250 has a different lens so use your own judgement. Don't bother with the tele. Its a waste of money and time.

If you haven't worked with P2 before then get at least one more card then you are planning. You really need at least three per camera, and four makes it less stressful. 64gb card are really nice. Also get a reader. Dumping straight from the camera is the slowest way to go, and then you can't shoot while the transfer is happening.

I have tried several off brand batteries, but they have never lasted like my Panny batteries have. They are worth the little extra money. Plus I have a 4 slot charger from IDX that I tried to buy off the NAB floor as soon as I saw it, but they made me wait until it was officially released.

BluesCam

I could not use my regular tripod with an EX1. It would not counter balance properly. I bought a new tripod for light weight cameras.

Lensmith

Two thoughts...

Don't buy an extra piece of metal or plastic to hold a wireless mic on the camera. It just adds weight...and takes money out of the budget. Use velcro. Stick the velcro on the back of all the batteries for this camera and mount the transmitter there.

Buy a mono pod for this camera. Make it's smaller size and weight an advantage when it comes time to shoot. Putting this camera on a mono pod lets you hold it higher above other cameras easily. Especially if you're in a crazy gang bang situation Instead of getting the back of some other photogs head or the side of their camera in your shot...you're over the top of it all. Plus when "working the ground" you can get around easily in a crowd and still have something to stabilize your shot when you find your spot.

zac love

I love Lectrosonics, but you'll need something to mount them to the camera. So if you want small, go Sennheiser.

For big, I really like the look of this Tilta shoulder mount, gives you the option of 15mm rods for nearly any other accessory & it mounts to a VCT-14 quick release plate.
http://www.urbancine.com/website-items/tilta-baseplate-bs-t03

(Would be hard to order, don't know if there is an official US dealer, but you can order direct from China & save some money).

---

Also the Libec AP-1 is just a stand alone VCT tripod plate the Sony PROTECH ST-1, but almost half the price & still good build quality. I have one & love that I got it on special at NAB 2011.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/688746-REG/Libec_AP_1_AP_1_Adapter_Plate.html

zac love

One more thing... are you locked into the HPX250? If you don't need something ASAP & you don't already have a lot invested in P2, I'd say wait & look at the new JVC HM600 / HM650.

Shoots XDCam 35mbps or AVCHD to cheap SDHC cards. The lens has a farther reach, so better for telephoto (HPX250 is wider though). And the HM650 can record full res & low res copy at the same time & then FTP raw files directly out of the camera back to the station.

---

I'm really excited to take a look at it this fall. And this is coming from someone who hasn't been a fan of JVC the last few years.