Poisonous Properties

Latin Lens

So overall it was good. The topic was very interesting. Just a few critiques to help make the long format stuff just a little bit better because its a challenge when you're dealing with long length and/or challenging subject matters. I think to start you need to vary up the interviews a little more. All the interviews were pretty much the same...change it up....so we get a little more variety in the look of interviews and I think you need to light them more investigatively...not so GA style. That'll help with the overall look that helps it stand out. I also think you need to start getting introduction shots to also help with the overall look. Pans or ultrawides when introducing people can really help and display some more advanced shooting technique. Nice ideas with the graphics...they looked good. Just find more ways to darken the background...that'll make them pop just a little more and better distinguish them especially when used over video. Good job.

RyanD

Thanks man... I guess my only question for you is how to more properly light for an investigative interview. I've watched the one you posted multiple times. The station I'm at now states they do NOT do investigative pieces, but I always end up getting assigned something like this during sweeps. Do you just mean more contrast in the lighting? Between the background and the subject?

Latin Lens

A little more contrast, sure....seperation is always perferred...but maybe by turning off overheads period as much as possible and using your own lights to properly light...it'll not look so General Assignment. If you ever start to get to do more investigative work...you'll rely on lighting interviews a little more to help with overall feel. Inside I can usually light enough to throw my shutter to 120 or even 250 which will give a little better seperation but you can necessarily do that with overheads. Just something to think about because a well-light serious interview can really add impact.

RyanD

Thanks man. Yeah I would like to do more investigative pieces in the future. My station is just not into it. Good to know for the future though. I'm posting a day turn I did this weekend today. It's more in my wheelhouse.