Photoging 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

<newby>

I'm looking for some basic 101-type tips for a newby photog.
I've done "light" photoging in the past, and now my new place wants me to resume that roll, but it's been a long time and I wasn't really all that fabulous back then.
Thanks for the help!

B

<Buck>

Work on your speed...in both shooting and editing. The quicker you shoot will give you more time to spend in editing. But make sure you have all the video you are going to need.

Use a tripod when needed but don't be married to it. There are times when shooting off the shoulder is better to capture action. But you'll probably want to be closer to your subject.

Composition. Learning good composition is what made me into the photog I am today. One day something clicked and I learned to use framing devices (trees, fence posts, flowers, too many to mentiion) to make the shots look better.

White balance often whenever changing locations. Shade, direct sun, indoor, outdoor. When not sure, rewhite balance.

photogguy

Think of how the video will edit together while your shooting it. Getting the sequences (wide, medium, tight) close together on the tape will make your editing a lot easier.

Listen to the interviews while your shooting them. Understanding the story makes it easier for you to figure out what needs to be shot, and what doesn't. Also, don't overshoot too much. If you fill three tapes for one story, you'll waste time changing tapes while editing, slowing you down.

Look for interesting shots, what I call "eye-candy". This can help to make the entire story visually interesting. But don't forget to shoot the basics.

Ask questions of the other photogs in the shop. The only stupid question is the unasked question.

W

<Whoolz>

i like how a thread i started 10 months ago made it back here again. The best advice i got, and have stuck with, is to just keep asking questions. if you ever are concerned about something, ask a guy thats been there.

Learn about basic lighting skills that you will need for liveshots.

Learn minor trouble shooting skills. (i remeber the day i posted that thread, oddly enough it's a reporter problem...i'll leave it at that.)
Have no audio? try hard wiring the mic to the camera. if that doesn't work, switch the audio channels. if that doesn't work, it may need to be looked at by an engineer.

expirament when you have some downtime. take the camera around and roll video with diferent kinds of white balances. diferent filters and shutter speeds. learn what causes diferent colors. If you know that stuff, you'll be out in the field thinking on your feet faster.

photojo

I know you asked about photography but don't forget about "AUDIO". I have seen a lot of good video that was useless because of bad audio. Another good idea is to watch tapes of good photogs work,try NPPA for some. Try new things,you are using tape,not film. Good luck. IT's NOT NEWS UNLESS WE COVER IT!!!!!!!!

BoomDrive

I worked weekends the entire time I was at my first station. I usually shot two packages; one on Saturday, one on Sunday. When Monday rolled around, the chief tried to made it a point to critique my shooting.

Hopefully, you've got some excellent photographers at your station that wouldn't mind sitting down and watching some of your work once in a while.

Shaky & Blue

1. Remember to shoot people, and what people are doing (as opposed to just shooting inanimate objects or scenery). People, and how you capture them, are the soul of your work in news photography.

2. Remember to shoot to inform and entertain the viewer at home, NOT to impress other photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.