Phone text scam??

BluesCam

Hey everybody. I received a sms text message from someone saying:

"Hello Good day. My name is melissa, am hearing impaired that why i sms text you i would like to know if you do Videographer service?? and do you accept credit card,for payment kindly get back to me as soon as possible. Regards."

Smells like fish. Number is in Las Vegas area.

What do you think?

prosheditor

I would say classic overseas scam considering the broken sentences.

The number is probably spoofed just like an e-mail can be. Google the number to see if it's on a known scam list. Try the search with and without spaces, dashes and dots for the most results.

I would delete it and forget about it. Let us know what you find.

Run&Gun

Biggest give away on that kind of stuff is the poor syntax and grammar.

I received a great email about a week ago. Someone said his company and mine(and referred to me by name) were both being investigated by the IRS for tax fraud and wanted to know when we could meet and discuss it. I was half tempted to tell the guy "Next Tuesday 'some random address 12 states away'". Or call some of my law enforcement friends and see if I could actually get someone to show up for real and let them have some fun.

BluesCam

My mother got a phone message from some clown with a thick accent saying "you owe money to the US Treasury and if you don't pay immediately you will be guilty of a felony" hilarious... I just reported the text I got to a phone scam website. They had one other report but it didn't give any info about it. I did read an online story saying that scammers were targeting photographers.

Run&Gun

I've heard of the IRS/tax/treasury scam a lot in the last year. The IRS will NEVER make initial contact via phone. It will always be by mail.