PD-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

<wanna buy it>

I am seriously considering purchasing a PD-150. Are there any places that allow you to "try it before you buy." Everything I have read and heard sounds good I would like to see it for myself before I spend 3 grand.

<150>

Originally posted by <wanna buy it>:
I am seriously considering purchasing a PD-150. Are there any places that allow you to "try it before you buy." Everything I have read and heard sounds good I would like to see it for myself before I spend 3 grand.
every show shoots with this camera now

<150 owner>

Get the new Panasonic AG-DVX100 instead. I wish I did. There's nothing wrong with the SONY but as a Betacam user the Panasonic seems to be a better camera.

T

<Think again>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

every show shoots with this camera now
Correction: every under-budgeted, under-talented, un-skilled, low/no-quality show shoot with this camera.

T

<TtownPhotog>

I almost got one of those but I decided to get a JVC GYDV500. If you normally shoot on beta you'll like this camera because all of it's features are at basically the same places (wht blc, db gain, filters, etc.) For the money I don't think you can beat the quality either. It's lightweight and can be fitted with NP1 or Anton Bauer battery systems. Nice way to get into digital. Uses regualr mini DV.

T

<TtownPhotog>

Oh yeah I forgot the best part is that the JVC GYDV500 has a removalble lense system so when you are ready and can afford a better lense than the stock one (which isn't bad and has a macro and everything just like your Beat probably does) you can get a new one. Try that with a PD150. Also the PD150's features are almost all burried in some menu and it take forever to get to it. Not great for spot news or shooting on the run.... I have seen plenty of freelancers using them though for everything from production to network liveshots.

R

<renegade>

PD-150 is a great invention. If you know how to use it. I have 2 SX and 3 PD-150 to choose from. I did lives and shoot inside reduced spaces (like cars) and in some occations I did a live without lights. I am in a top market. Sometimes I think of cameras as guitars. With a PD-150 I feel like Jimmy Hendrix. But I can also play with SX or DVCpro. I carry a laptop to edit and I can do it while my reporter drives back to the station. In another words, IT IS THE FUTURE, DUDE. I can edit stories in 5 minutes (after I log the material). They have a macro as well, and yes, you need to go to the menu. It takes you 20 seconds. The skills are not in the camera. Is the photog. the one that rule, and will rule. Do not forget that. I saw great and bad video in any camera. My advise is buy it unless you can afford a 40k SX.

G

<got one 2>

Nothing beats the PD-150 under low light conditions. That's what makes it a better camera than anything Panasonic or Cannon offer.

2000lux

I have the GY-DV500. I like it because you have all the advantages of a broadcst camera (manual broadcast style lens, it sits on your shoulder, etc) plus it has 1/2" chips instead of the 1/3'ers. On the other hand, it's bigger and heavier than all the palmcoders, has no fold out color screen, takes big expensive bateries, and equires a heavier tripod... SO it also has all the disadvantages of a Betacam, but still only shoots DV. :confused:

If you get one I reccomend going with the Anotn Bauer battery system for two reasons. One, the heavier bateries will balance the camera better on your shoulder. Two, you can power a light off of the AB battery mount, but not the NP-1 holder.

Lately I've been thinking I should have joined the revolution and bought a PD-150 or 100 in stead. Maybe I will when we all go to disk. :rolleyes:

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.