pcmcia card, a winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhart

I didn't make it to NAB this year so this maybe old news but my friendly Panasonic rep stopped by to talk about their version of a tapeless future; PCMCIA cards. Most interesting and I only see one draw back to this new recording technology. I can't reveal what he thought these puppies might cost but at first they'll be expensive compared to tape. I'm sure the price will come down as the technology matures. Good for 200-K passes! No moving parts, lower power consumption and instant NLE access with no digizing. I suppose the producer could show up with a bunch of these cards and take them away at the conclusion of the shoot.

Limited to 18 minute of SD recording per card right now, but you can chain 5 cards together in a single camcorder. Imagine many multiple hours of recording material in your shirt pocket, that weights a few ounces. This recording capacity will rise rapidly. Panasonic wisely (in my opinion) kept the camcorder size and weight pretty much the same as a betacam. Final good piece of news the playback device for these cards cost next to nothing so every edit suite could easily afford one.

Looks like another big battle brewing between Sony's DVD and Panasonic's PCMCIA card. From what I've seen so far I'd give the edge to Panasonic. Can't wait to get a working demo.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Rumor in my shop is that this system is the way we'll be heading, along with some server-based filing system. We'll see. Do you know if they're basing it on their current DVC-Pro compression formats (ie. 25, 50, and 100Mbps?) Also, are they designing it to integrate only with their Newsbyte NLE, or will it be seamlessly integratable in other systems, such as AVID, as well?

dhart

Records DVC Pro 25, 50, 100 native. Panasonic is quickly rounding up all the server manufacturers and making sure they are native processors of the DVC standard. Works with all major NLE's native. No encoding or re-encoding. I'm guessing they're providing the DVC codec for free to anyone adapting the DVC standard. If this thing works as advertised may take the market like a hurricane.

[ August 28, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: dhart ]

Status
Not open for further replies.