PBS Autism Series/AF 100

dhart

Well shot documentary. Curious, is there some reason you did not use the AF-100 as your main interview camera? I've heard that older AVIDs have problems transcoding AF-100 footage. New AVIDs and FCP are suppose to handle natively. I have a AF-100 on order and have been polishing up my 40 year Nikon primes in anticipation :)

dazapper

While shooting with the AF100 was great, the problems arose once the footage hit post. My producer had all kinds of issues ingesting with her editor since his was an older Avid, and she didn't have FCP on her computer to view any files. All of this became my problem when she had problems, so there were many phone calls and threats of pulling away from the format because post didn't have the initiative to upgrade. It was frustrating for all, but they eventually capitulated and made the upgrade which solved all the problems. It's an issue we face all the time in this day and age.

Cameradude

Aaaaah the pleasures of working out the workflow!!

I've had three different editors ingest footage from the camera without an issue. Of course two of them were major sports networks and one of them was a major production house, so they probably have the most up to date software, plug-ins, and all that crap...LOL! I also ran through some trials in advance, shot some video, sent them the files, etc, to make sure everything worked out.

Listen, I don't know what I'm doing with editing software. I just bought a Mac three weeks ago! But, if I can ingest and play the video on my computer, then I'm sure the fix can be figured out with a little time and research. We all know how we get in our "comfort zone" and like to stay there.

BTW David, excellent shooting and great storytelling. That's one you can be proud of.

dhart

I been importing test footage into FCP 7 from my AF-100 the last few days. I've done it using the camera as playback device and with files off loaded from NEXTO. Both have been fool proof. Just open log and transfer on FCP and import the files.

Transcoding is somewhat faster than real time (haven't put a stop watch on it) but much superior to log and capture via a tape based camera. I'm told the new FCP will handle files natively so no transcoding will be required. I've heard of difficulties on older AVID systems. Latest AVIDs are said to be problem free.

Kind of freaky to think 3 hours of HD footage fits on that little card (32 gigs) but so far they've been bullet proof. Price has come down to where an SD card is the same cost per minute as Betacam tape. I assume clients will want to purchase the SD card as their master.

AlexLucas

A friend of mine and I called this future a few years ago, and we're totally geeked on this. Life is good. I'm personally wondering where it all goes from here.

One of my friends asked me what the new format of the future was, and I told them that it was the cheapest card you could put it on, and the actual future was formatless.

With the new FCP coming out, it's freakin' on.
Rock out, and enjoy the new future, I'm squirrelling money again.

dhart

Well I don't know about "the future" but the AF 100 is a useful piece of kit in certain situations. Only a matter of time before a decent electronic zoom lens comes out to make it more useful in EFP situations. And yes, I know that would be a honking big lens!

marsman

I have had one since February, it is a solid camera. For eng use, I don't see it being that useful. Depth of field is next to nothing at f2. The camera is great and I think using the GH2 with a 2/3 inch lens and using the cropping feature would be the most useful. I have both and they are great pieces of equipment but I think 2/3 inch and smaller technology is going to be the standard for news.