Pay scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Step Above Productions

What is the going rate for freelance work with news operations like NBC ABC CBS etc.?

With gear, & with out gear.

I have my own gear and have some opertunities to freelance with some local peoduction companies. I just need to know what the going rate is.

Thanks for any help.

Baltimore Shooter

Rates for the Washington DC, Baltimore and Mid-Atlantic area:

2 person crew w/ gear (cam & audio) -
$1,300 - $1,350/full day, $900-$1,000/half day

1 Person crew w/ gear (shooter only w/ cam pkg) -
$900-$1,000/full day, $750-$800/half day

Audio tech w/ gear - $400-$450/day, don't know half day

Cameraman or Audio Tech w/o gear -
$250-$350/full day, $200-$250/half day

Some places want to pay the audio tech less than the cameraman, but I think the audio tech is just as important as the cameraman. After all, bad audio is just as bad as bad picture, so I pay my audio people same as camera - $350.

Warren

Houston soundmen (Good ones) 300.00 325.00 per day
one charges 350.00 and I use him also.
audio package 100 - 125 -(150 sometimes)

While one of my wireless was dropped and in for repair at sony, I paid 75.00 a day for a rental! After 800.00 in rentals I bought a Lectro and have received better customer service and I now feel the $125 is reasonable for the soundman's gear.

There are some people that charge 1,550 to 1,755 per day for industrial work.

Wedding videographers with a 5,000 dollar camera and no lights, Bogen tripod and 1 wireless mic charge $650 for 2 hours and $150 per hour after that.

I now refer History Channel producers to the wedding guys when they tell me my half day is too high. I usually get a call back with in the hour or I will hear that another Betacam shooter will get the gig at the same price I quoted.

If you were to go to a rental house and get a "deal" on 3-C stands, 2 flags, Chimera & Arri kit, stingers, mixer & 2 wireless, 3 sandbags, Sachtler tripod, Betacam camera, bricks/charger, and a beat up van ($50.00) the package is 850.00 plus mileage (50 cents per mile) and bring your own headphones.

Package deal/van 850
Cameraman 375 or 400 (NY or LA 450 from what I can tell)
Soundman 325
Equip Insurance ?
+________
TOTAL 1,550.00
That seems to be the same price as some of the industrial guys are charging.

Baltimore Shooter

Gravity,
Good one! I didn't think about refering cheap clients to wedding shooters. I just told them what my rate was take it or leave it. Sometimes they call back, sometimes they don't. But refering them to a wedding shooter should be a better bet that they'll call back and will go for your rate. I'll have to remember that one, that's a much better sales trick.
Warren

Mike

News-Quest,

I'm surprised to see that everyone that answered seems to have their own rate that they quoted. All of the network assignment work I do (mostly ABC and CBS) is all at a set scale that is part of the respective union scale for each network (ABC, CBS and NBC). Shooters also get gear rental that is off of a specific rate sheet for each network. All of my friends that do network assignment work do it the same way that I do, so I don't quite know how people can vary their rates.

--Mike

Baltimore Shooter

Yeah, union gigs pay less than non-union, don't know why. You'd think it would be the opposite but I've always made more working non-union than union.
Warren

tdelarm

All of the network assignment work I do (mostly ABC and CBS) is all at a set scale that is part of the respective union scale for each network (ABC, CBS and NBC).
OK...you got me curious...what's the "set rate" for these three?

dinosaur

CBS-IBEW ENG Freelance 8 hrs. $391.84 + $15. Flex Fund + $15.07 401k plus meal penalties if any.

NBC-NABET ENG Group 6 8hrs. + daily hire buyout=333.90 + $15. Flex Plan plus meal penalties if any.

ABC-NABET ENG/SNG Group 7 8hrs.+ daily hire buyout= approx $331.00 + $10. Flex Fund plus meal penalties if any.

tdelarm

CBS = $48.98
NBC = $41.73
ABC = $41.37

These compare with Los Angeles rates for union O&O/Network freelance work. However, maybe Jurassic Park IS the LA area ;)

What is the specific rate sheet paying for gear from the nets in your area?

Ken

As far as gear rates (as opposed to the hourly rates posted above) for networks are concerned, again there is no negotiation. The rates are set for a complete camera package including lights, monitor, audio gear, tripod, camera etc.:
NBC: $500
CBS: $525
ABC: $550
If there are other items not in the basic package, they can be charged extra according to existing rates that each network has for the specified piece of gear. These things would include:
W/A lens, HMIs, extra wireless, matte box and filters, etc.
I've never heard of anyone negotiating different rates for network gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.