Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCCAM

cyndygreen1

So I'm finally seriously checking out cameras to replace my aging duo. Has anyone had any experiences good/bad with the above camera? It seems fit the bill for me (price/features)...poor standard battery life, but will purchase extra batteries to compensate.
Let me know...thanks

zac love

I haven't used one, but pretty much it is a HPX170 or HVX200a without the P2 & MiniDV (respectively), or over / under crank variable frame rates.

In my experience with a HVX is that it really eats up a lot of light. Maybe it is bad on battery life, but nothing compared to using NP1 batteries & a Betacam. I'd be lucky if one battery lasted a full 20min tape.

A HVX usually lasts at least 90min on the larger batteries & I guess my Sony Z7 does better than that with comparable batteries, but still I lose track of how long batteries last after I've changed media twice.

I'd say also look at Sony's NX5U, about the same price, but extra features the 150 doesn't have. Though the NX5U has CMOS & the 150 has CCD. But I like the low light & higher resolution of CMOS over CCD, even with the skew & flash banding.

#1 Find what is right for you though.

SigLife

I shoot with the HMC and haven't had any complaints. Lightweight and a good picture.

I shoot on a 16gb card and that gives me 99 minutes to work with. I didn't bother with the standard battery and went with the Anton Bauer Elipz power solution. It works great and can easily last me shooting all day.

cyndygreen1

Thanks guys...
@zac love - I've worked with the other two Panos and it is pretty much the same body/different media. That's kind of what attracted me to the 150. I know the camera. Will check out the Sony though.
And SigLife will check out the AB battery system. Might be more practical in the long run.
I'm a few months out from being able to afford it, and some other bright shiny object may come into view by then.

My only criticism of the Panasonic HMC-150 is that if you are recording and change either audio input, the sound for both channels goes blank for about 15 frames. I've had the DVX100, DVX100A, DVX100B, and that was never an issue. Why and how it was introduced into the 150? I don't know. Otherwise the camera gets a 9.5/10 and it's an incredible value. I'll probably buy another one in April.