"One Man Band" advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

<Captain Colorhue>

Hi, I'm new to board, but I've enjoyed reading some of the posts, as well as the "tips" section.
Anyway, my question is in regards to "one man banding." I'm currently a "One Man Band" at an update station, where I'm also the evening anchor. (insert your own joke here!)
I'm more interested in being in front of the camera, but I've really gotten to enjoy being a photographer. Unfortunately, our only full-time photographer just left and we're in the process of replacing him, so in the meantime, I don't work with anyone who has any real background or knowledge in photo-journalism. In my case, I'm an allright photog, my shots are steady and I can do a few of the "pretty" things like pans and rack-focuses, but I'd like to develop a better "eye" and the ability to really captivate a story visually. Obviously, I know practice is the best thing I can do, but I'm hoping to move on the higher market soon as a reporter/anchor and I realize that my tape will likely feature stories that I shot and I'm hoping that what I lack as a photog doesn't hurt what I have as a reporter/anchor. So, my question is basically a broad one, but if anyone has any advice or even a tip or two, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks and take care.

R

<Russ>

Do me a favor, when you get to the big market, please don't constantly point out that you were a shooter too in your old market.

Basically - you're video is not going to be looked at when applying for a reporter/anchor job, so don't sweat it. Actually it is the editing that really makes the difference. So put your efforts there.

D

<David Sussman>

Captain,

I applaud your interest in the whole process. I disagree with Russ a little in that an employer won't consider your efforts as a photographer. I believe an understanding of photography is essential to good writing and an understanding of writing is essential to good photography. When I'm looking at a photographer's resume tape I am paying attention to the writing as well to try to guage how the photographer works with reporters. If I'm looking at a one man band tape, I'm still looking at the writing to see if the person understands how to work with photography and writing in concert. It matters a lot.

No one can teach you everything here. Learning is a long process and should never end. The truth of the matter is that a lot of learning is "monkey see - monkey do". Watch good monkeys. Good monkeys can be found on the NPPA regional quarterly clip contest tapes. As a member, you pay a cheap price for some very inspiring work. If you see something and you want to know how it was executed, look up the photographer in the membership directory and contact them. I believe most would be flattered that you took an interest in their work and would share their experience on the story you saw.

Good luck!
David Sussman

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by <David Sussman>:
Watch good monkeys. Good monkeys can be found on the NPPA regional quarterly clip contest tapes. As a member, you pay a cheap price for some very inspiring work.
Or you can just subscribe to the tapes by themselves and forego the overpriced membership dues. If you want to contact someone whose work you admire, it shouldn't be too difficult to find them without the membership directory, since the names and stations of the winners are listed on the tapes. Besides, the directory is notorious for being out of date.

:)

M

<mashed potatoes>

Hey Dubz, did you post this??? If this is you, what's this jazz about knowing how to do a rack focus? You couldn't do a rack focus if your camera had two lenses and you pulled the rings in opposite directions hahahahaha! j/k man! How is YOUR local update?

B to the K

B

<Band Member>

Whatever you do. DO NOT overdo it with the cymbals! Unless of course you are a lousy kazoo player!

:p

W

<Wile-D>

Take your beta cam & frezzi lights and practice, practice pracice so you can put together a kick-ass tape and move on down the road with the rest of the crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.