Non-standard framing

cameragod

Shooting live event over the weekend framing center 1/3 of the screen so it matches the esthetic of the event... it does look ok on the big sideways rotated screens at the event. Just it looks awful on my 16x9 monitor and I'm damned sure that any networks taking a feed off us for news are going to think we were blind.

Run&Gun

So basically "vertical video"? I wish it would die a swift death. But just to spite me, it will live forever. Hell, they make kits to allow Alexa Mini's to be turned on their side to shoot vertically and I saw an article a few days ago about ****ing ass-clowns shooting vertical video with anamorphic lenses. The world really is coming to an end.

Focused

Event video

Sorry to break it to you - its event videos life blood.

I just did a production for the LA auto show. The video screens at client's booth were aspect ratio of 7 to 1. The 16x9 IMEG only took the middle of the 7 panels. This is designed so all sorts of other GFX to be presented along with the live video. However, the produced piece to open the event did display over the full 7x1 board.

The vertical video thing is to make use of much taller spaces in a display or use non 16x9 spaces but still present the video as large as possible. Shooting sideways is often a better way to do that so data streams and routers are not taxed so hard for the length of an event (5 hour concert).

No - its not pretty to TV folks. But its from the mind of event planners and designers not limited to a 16x9 frame.

cameragod

I understand it for the event but our shoot was not just the event. We were pool for local and network stations as well, just seemed weird that the atheistic for the few hundreds attending took priority of the possibly thousands viewing :)